UCI ready to change the 6.8 kg weight limit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

And personally, I find it stupid that mechanics are forced to add lead to their bikes to stay UCI compliant. A 6kg (or even 13 lb) limit with only UCI certified parts would make sense IMO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Anyone can make a bike well below 6.8kg for much less that 7000€ so the money issue is a mute point as far as I am concerned. Every team could be on less expensive bikes that are below 6.8kg

As many have mentioned, if the parts meet the safety standards then let the teams build what they want and the weight they feel is OK.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

sawyer

by sawyer

Delorre wrote:
sawyer wrote:With no weight limit, pro bikes would disappear out of sight for most amateurs. A 6.8kg bike is not exactly cheap as it stands, but it's affordable for many.

This has nothing to do with weight. The Sky bikes are around 12.000€ f.ex, while the Canyon ones are more like 7000€, all on the 7kg frontier... Do you really think the Sky bikes (or other already >10.000) would become even more expensive by a lot? Don't think so, and, speaking for myself, the are already for out of budget!

Yes I do think they would become much more expensive with no weight limit

Think of Bradley Wiggins' hour record bike

What you would have is very small production runs (to be UCI legal they'd be offered) of team special frames, components etc optimised for weight

You'd be quickly into an era of £50k+ bikes

Winning is that important to big sponsors ...they are putting down £10m+ pa

The point really is that a 6.8kg bike as good, if not identical, to pros bikes is well within reach of many amateurs

Say goodbye to that with no limit ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Delorre

by Delorre

Most of the bikes could easily weight around 6 kg with off the shelf parts. Don't think pro riders would take risks using 'one off' parts. No need to, there is more than enough light, affordable and reliable stuff they could use to build a light bike without being way more expensive as today. Within the limits of sponsoring, off course. A reasonable limit is always good to avoid any craziness off course :wink: