UCI ready to change the 6.8 kg weight limit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

It will be interesting to see the new limit.
Interestingly many of the pros currently ride bikes over 7kg so the 6.8kg limit doesn't seem to be a big issue with them.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

the move to disc with thru-axle will add weight. Seems pointless to lower the weight limit when the technology being added means heavier and not lighter bikes.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

It's always struck me as arbitrary and a little silly to set a weight limit when they really want to control safety. Plenty of heavy bikes are it fit for the pro peloton and plenty of light bikes are wickedly safe. If you want to regulate safety then set SAFETY standards rather than pretending that weight is an appropriate proxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thprice

by thprice

FastforaSlowGuy wrote:It's always struck me as arbitrary and a little silly to set a weight limit when they really want to control safety. Plenty of heavy bikes are it fit for the pro peloton and plenty of light bikes are wickedly safe. If you want to regulate safety then set SAFETY standards rather than pretending that weight is an appropriate proxy.
+1 :thumbup:

tinozee

by tinozee

That is a good point. UCI should focus more on the course setups not the bikes as much. Like not having a damn pole in the middle of the course for Pete Stetina to destroy his leg. Or super narrow finish lanes, fines for selfie sticks, etc..

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i don't know. building a lower weight bike won't really result in much speed gain and a persuit of grams might result in a safety issue that isn't caught by other standards. if there's a minimum weight then there's no advantage in a race to the bottom.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think an overall min weight is kind of pointless now. The emphasis should be on safety. Suppose disc brakes come into common use. They are heavier than rim brakes. But, if the added weight of disc brakes means they can reduce the weight of the frame, then is that good? I think I'd rather have the stronger heavier frame with rim brakes than disc brakes on the lighter frame, all else being equal. It's a tough one. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, if anything.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I'd like to see the weight limit abolished so more manufacturers start pushing limits of technology like in xc racing. I see way more innovation there than in road.

mattr

by mattr

Weight limits are easy.
Safety standards are hard, and potentially open you up to prosecution in the event of failure.

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

I think lowering of the weight limit might see more purity in the technology that the riders/teams choose. The strategy of each rider may be better played out. Some may choose deep aero wheels and electronic group sets, others going for the WW options.

eric

by eric

mattr wrote:Weight limits are easy.
Safety standards are hard

This.

Also weight limits reduce the cost of fielding competitive bikes. Without weight limits the rich teams will be able to afford to spend loads of money on WW gear while the poor teams won't. While the performance disparity will not be as bad as in motorsport, it's not zero.

I'd like to see the weight limit reduced, then go down a little each year to spur technology development.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Getting rid of the ridiculous `lawyer tab' regulation would lose a couple of grams!

xena
Banned

by xena

There should be no weight limit. Simple. Long as safety regs are meet who cares.
The desperation of companies/media banging on about disc brakes in order to sell a shed load of new products. Its all a bunch of K%k
Lets be honest disc's are not needed just like electronic is not needed. Its all just a media driven gimmick to make more money. I laugh at posters who say they are going to hang on from buying a bike in case disc becomes "the norm"
Let all those rich fat weekend warriors spend all their money on another gimmick.
I doubt we will ever see a pro rider on a 9/10 lb bike now.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

xena
Banned

by xena

mattr wrote:Weight limits are easy.
Safety standards are hard, and potentially open you up to prosecution in the event of failure.

Did you see all those broken Movie bikes this year?
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com