Carbon-Ti Road SL Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Does anyone have any experience with these hubs.

They look to be well manufactured, look great, have a descent size axle(17mm) and reasonable size bearings and are quite light (not as light as extralite) but just looking for some real world feedback.

Dabbling with the idea of getting a pair laced to some 77 composites 25s in 20/24 lacing.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Never heard of this hubset until this topic, seems really well made and the weight is very low. It seems that the road version is made to be assembled with all straight pull spokes, is that correct? Is there an advantage to this?

Also, it would be cool to know how do they compare to Tune's and Extralight offerings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

I've opened a topic about them a few month, but no response also :(

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

No experience with these, but they look very similar to Extralite CyberHubs...

Make of that what you will.

Always interested in hearing real usage reports of new hubs :)

kavitator

by kavitator

They look very similar to Tune, Aivee but preload makes them more quality

Spoke tension on rear road on NDS will be very low - so it needs quality wheelbuilding or high DS tension

I was also looking for some feedback for this new series of Carbon TI - but no response

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

kavitator wrote:Spoke tension on rear road on NDS will be very low - so it needs quality wheelbuilding or high DS tension

Can you explain a little bit about this Kav? I've built some wheelsets but mostly basic lacing with basic hubs so I don't know much about wheelbuilding.

ergott

by ergott

I agree with Kav. According to their specs, the DS spacing is 16mm (poor for today's standards) and the NDS is 42mm (high for today's standards). The result is left tension very low compared to the right. The only way I would build one, especially with that low spoke count, is with a rim that is offset drilled. DT 440 is one, and there are a couple of Kinlin offerings that bikehubstore.com carries. Not a big fan of the A23 offset rim. The alloy used isn't as good as the competition.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

ergott wrote:I agree with Kav. According to their specs, the DS spacing is 16mm (poor for today's standards) and the NDS is 42mm (high for today's standards). The result is left tension very low compared to the right. The only way I would build one, especially with that low spoke count, is with a rim that is offset drilled. DT 440 is one, and there are a couple of Kinlin offerings that bikehubstore.com carries. Not a big fan of the A23 offset rim. The alloy used isn't as good as the competition.

Thanks for the explanation Ergott! There's also the new Ryde Sprint rim with the OS option, should build a very very lightweight offering...

http://www.ryde.nl/pulse_sprint

ergott

by ergott

Indeed. They are now in the US and I'm looking forward to trying them.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We've been testing both the road and mtb versions of the hubs for several months so far and as of now we don't have one single issue with any of them. We've also been testing the Ryde rims, though not for as long and are also impressed by them, but we want to put more time on them before we make a final decision.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

please update us about the reliability of these products madcow! carbonTi hubs + ryde rims + cx spokes should build a wheelset of +/- 1250 grams for less than a C24 wheelset which is impressive!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

So madcow what rims have you been lacing these hubs to and how has the lateral stiffness been? I'm 72kg and these will be climbing wheels so i don't want to be rubbing the brake blocks out of the saddle.

Also wheel builders, based on the lacing geometry would these or extralite hubs build into a stiffer wheel or not much different?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com