Shimano R785 Di2 Lever Pull

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenpg

by allenpg

I just got my R785 installed on my CX bike and love it. I have XTR brakes on my MTB, so I'm used to bleeding Shimano brakes. I noticed on my R785 road disc brakes that there is a lot of lever pull. I've attached photos. Is this normal? The manual says that the levers come set to minimal lever throw, so I haven't adjusted it. Do I need to rebleed the brakes? Thanks!

-Pete

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Look relatively similar to what I have seen on other 785 levers - they do have quite a lot of travel!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

All Di2 shifters have a little screw you can turn to change the pull distance. I don't think they are minimal out of the box. I had to adjust mine when I got my bike from factory.

climber8

by climber8

superdx wrote:All Di2 shifters have a little screw you can turn to change the pull distance. I don't think they are minimal out of the box. I had to adjust mine when I got my bike from factory.

that screw adjusts the reach of the lever, not the throw. in other words, it controls how far the initial (resting) position of the lever is from the bar.

to the OP: i have found that the r785s require careful bleeding -- even moreso than the shimano XTR hydraulics -- and a bit of overfill to have that "tight" feeling. otherwise, if you follow the instructions i find that the lever will come close to the bar before bottoming out -- i.e., long throw.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Over fill the system if you want less throw. File down the bleed block a bit & re bleed.

But I will say that you don't need it. I thought I wanted less travel in the beginning, But I am happy with how they are now.