help with carbon padded saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bigpab

by bigpab

Anyone with experience with the newer SAN MARCO ASPIDE SUPERLEGGERA the old one without padding was comfy...im on a selle italia slr tekno flow...and is time for a new saddle... i want a bit more padding than the teknoflow which has basically none....
the superleggera has pebax... anyone has one and can share or compare to the type of padding of it?
atm im between the tekno and a syncros rr1.0 carbon with a very little padding i think its very similar to the prologo zero c3 pas i like the padding but would prefer cut or open
Any other suggestions welcome...
i was told the other day that supeleggera has less padding than my selle italia slr tekno flow...which doesn't really have padding so i need help.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Berk, who is on this forum, has a carbon saddle in two widths with 3mm of padding and a leather cover. Mine is the 150mm wide version and it came in at 110 grams. It also has a cut out and you can order oval rails if you are a larger rider.

KCookie

by KCookie

+ 1 for Berk saddle. Very comfy. !!

bigpab

by bigpab

Thanks Berk looks ok...
anyone with experience with the slr tekno flow and the sanmarco aspire superleggera new edition that has a bit of padding and could comment?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Edit- my saddle is actually 107 grams on the scale.

RyanH

by RyanH

The padded Berk saddle is a really comfy saddle and is a lot cheaper than the tekno flow. The Tekno flow has been criticized as having sharp edges. If you check my thread in the Introduce yourself sub forum, I have a full writeup. I plan on getting Berk saddles for all of my future builds.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

bigpab

by bigpab

Ok...
I think im going to order a berk
what sort of rails has the padded saddle have?
Ryan ... i ride the slr tekno flow i personally love it..yes a bit sharp on edges...
how does the padding compare? has the berg got more or less than tekno flow?
is going to be between the aspire superleggera and berk....

RyanH

by RyanH

Berk has two versions now I think, ovalized rails for a higher max kg weight limit and regular round for a max weight of 85kg.

I don't know if the magic in the Berk saddle is in the padding or the amount of flex the saddle provides. The Tune Komm-Vor+ is considered a pretty flexible saddle but the Berk beats it in that regard and is much more comfortable. After a 113 mile ride, I was pretty tired but my sit bones were not complaining at all.

Here's a video demonstrating the flex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Zsa2zitOI

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

I recently took delivery of a Berk padded saddle with 7X10MM rails, so can speak with confidence on this subject.

I originally came to this saddle because of numerous glowing reports about ride comfort. I'm currently building up a Scott Addict SL with a goal weight of 5.5KG. In order to save weight, I tried one of the cheap Chinese carbon fiber saddles, and couldn't stand the resulting discomfort. My faithful Specialized Toupe Pro although comfortable, was much too heavy.

Unfortunately, my weight budget only allowed 95 grams so the replacement couldn't be any heavier. This led me to the Berk Saddle. At the time their leather covered saddle with minimal padding was only available with round rails. However, I'm using a tuned 120 gram Bontrager XXX carbon seat post which only accepts 7X10MM rails.

After talking with Jure who's extremely responsive and accommodating, he agreed to produce an oval railed version of the saddle and furthermore agreed to select a light example to keep my build below my self imposed 5.5 KG weight limit.

When the saddle arrived it was indeed below 95 grams, weighing only 93.2 grams on my accurate digital scale. This was for the 138 MM saddle. The fact that it was immaculately finished was also much appreciated.

Now, for the proof of the pudding, the saddle is the most comfortable I've ever ridden. Unfortunately, this time of the year in the Pacific Northwest, all day rides aren't possible, but after riding it for several hours, I have no doubt that it will be "all day comfortable".

I realize saddle fit is a personal issue, so your mileage may vary. OTOH, the fact that there's no sharp edges, a considerable center channel cutout and wing flexibility plus a leather cover and about three MM of padding lends to the expectation of comfort.

Finally, this saddle is somewhat of a bargain. It's discounted to 235 Euro's, and with the current exchange rate and free shipping, it's cheaper than many lesser alternatives.

I know I'll incorporate this saddle on future builds where weight is important. Heck, it's so comfortable I'll probably order another for my sub 19 pound mountain bike.

ironman1

by ironman1

Riding the old version of Romin Evo Pro in 143 width. I know everyone's rear is different but anyone have a direct comparison of same to Berk padded. In the Berk 132 or 150 compared to Romin 143 ?

bigpab

by bigpab

Any ww riding the superleggera newest version...???
Still looking for someone who's have experience on it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Damn, that Berk is a good looking lightweight. Kind of regretting buying the Selle Italia Carbonio Flow now. :(
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing