LW Standard/Meilenstein weight differences between gens

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ak47

by ak47

I got a set of used gen II LWs and since the Continental tubulars were already glued I couldn't get the exact weight of these so I started to wonder what the weight of this generation was. I googled, but couldn't find a definite answer. So can anyone tell how the weight of the Standard/Meilenstein wheels has changed over the years?

Gen I - this was the pre CS era wheels I assume? With Dura-Ace rear hub and carbon/kevlar spokes.
Gen II - introduced after CS took over the company from Dierl and Obermayer. New foam inside, DT rear hubs, but still carbon/kevlar spokes.
Gen III - full carbon spokes introduced - said to be lighter and stiffer than the previous gen II.
Gen IV (Meilenstein) - current generation - slightly revised rim height (I believe they got few mms lower), new braking surface.

It would be good to know catalogue and real weights for these sets. Weights of other sets like Ventoux etc. will be interesting too. Maybe if someone did weight his own set of LWs he could share it and I would collect this data to make a list available here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There was a thread with this in a few years ago, but from what I remember, it isn't as clear cut as your definitions of gen1, 2 etc.

My Carbonsports Std's versions have a dt freehub, but it was termed a "gen1" when I returned it for repair.

Some people tried to tie it down to the valve hole/ valve tube but I don't think even that was a definitive answer.
Official cafe stop tester

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Gen IV Meilenstein Obermayer Schwarz ED : 401g / 539g
Gen III(?) Gipfelsturm Schwarz ED : 449g / 591g

danbjpa

by danbjpa

I frequently visit the 'certified pre-owned' section at LW site and they apparently list the exact weight of the wheelset (some with tires), so:

- Meilenstein Clincher Weiss ED (model 2015 - 20/20 spks - laser logo - shimano freehub) = 1232 g (FW 562 g / RW 670)

- FERNWEG Gen IV (model 2013 - 16/20 spk - laser logo - shimano freehub) = 1444 g (FW 654 g / RW 790 g)

- Gipfelsturm/Meilenstein Obermayer gen III (model 2013 - 20/20 spks - gpf laser/obies stiked logo(?) - shimano freehub) = 1009 g (FW 454 g / RW 555 g)

- Autobahn rear wheel disc (model (?) - shimano fh) = 768g

Source: https://shop.lightweight.info/en/Certified,Pre,Owned/

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

micky

by micky

My Gen II are 1145 gramms if I remember correctly.

KCookie

by KCookie

Only got the clinchers, gen IV 16/20. Front is 550g Rear 660g. Total 1210g.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Gen IV clinchers 10 speed - not sure individual but total for pair was 1202g.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sungod

by sungod

meilenstein obermayers, 16/20 spoke, shimano/sram, excluding qr...

gen iii 409/555g no glue

gen iv 391/542g including one layer of glue and the 10/11s spacer - the rear is asymmetric with the inner edge of the rim closer to the non-drive side, so that the valve core 'bump' is entirely on the drive side

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com