supersix himod bb sleeve ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dennistwowheels

by Dennistwowheels

Hello All,

So, yesterday i purchased a supersix himod. It's a great looking frame for a great price. The frameset is a former team cannondale-garmin spare and hasn't seen any use yet.
Today is was weighing the frame and was surprised by the weight shown on my scale (including hanger, seatclamp) : 1068 grams. I've sent Cannondale a message and they verified it was a genuine Cannondale product. So the problem appears to be a aluminium bb sleeve that has been installed to the frame. It appears to have been glued in place since there is a little bit of black dried-up goo on the drive side. The diameter in the middle is about 30mm and the outside 42, so it appears to be a bb30 specific part, but why so heavy ? whole idea of a lightweight frame gone :(
Does anybody know what this is ? and maybe have experience which getting such a sleeve removed?
Much appreciated !

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Isn't that what a BB30 looks like? Is the alternative any lighter?

You don't say the size of frame, but white paint and the small parts can easily add up to 150g. Don't believe advertised weight.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It's an adapter to convert from PressFit BB30 to regular BB30. I would like to understand the team rationale for doing this and philosophize over the dynamics of the various factors which impacted on the decision making process.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Ex team bike.... Easy way add some weight to pass 6.8kg

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Also bear in mind team frames are not always same as those available to public. Example: Felt F0 was approx. 200g lighter than team frame as pro considered the F0 too flexy. Extra layup to stiffen certain areas adds weight for UCI and keeps riders happy. Pros care far more about climbing/sprinting performance than a few extra grams.

nickf

by nickf

My 54 with the same paint was 858g w/ bb, seat clamp, and hanger in place. Will still be a great riding bike.

vilegnus

by vilegnus

It's pretty normal for ex'pro frame to have extra 300-400 grams in comparison to serial ones.

If you get SS black inc, red22, light controls and pro level racing wheels you will easily go under 5.5kg. But you cant race on that light bike in UCI events. So manufacturers add a lot of extra layers of carbon fiber in places, where stiffness is critical (BB and headtube), aluminum bb shells, stiff aluminum handlebars and stems. And you still have to add exrta weight on your bike to "hit" 6.8 limit

Almost bought Astana team frame last week, but 1250gr for frame alone on the scale (SL4, 54size) persuaded me.

Dennistwowheels

by Dennistwowheels

Thanks for the reassuring comments, i will just start building the bike up then. If the frame is heavier for performance benefits, that's cool (more to brag about before before the start of a race and during coffee). If it's just to add weight to please the uci, i would feel stupid for buying components to save 40 or so grams.
Was already surprised the aluminium shell would weigh about 200 grams, but heavier carbon for added strength would explain a lot.
Forgot to mention framesize is a 54!

sharkman

by sharkman

Do you have a picture of the complete frameset?
Think i have the same frameset and without the glued in shell it is a hi mod team frame but although quite large it's in the same weight region.
Good thing is it is way less flexy than the stock hi mods ( same goes for the fork, bit heavier)
Didn't think it was strange since for example the giant teambikes also are heavily modified and nothing like the consumer versions.

stormur

by stormur

This topic i for those, who believe that pro riders use same frames ;)

This sleeve is "weight increaser" . Previously mechanics installed steel plates in BB-down tube connection and stem ( I was witness of removing it from ex pro rider bike ).
Second thing is layup - different for pro teams, even different for certain riders. As example BMC team frameset weight about 150g more ( incl seatpost ) than regular frameset.
Lapierre has different BB stifness frames for team FDJ.

I can be worng, but didn't heard of using regular frames by UCI Pro & Continental teams.. It's always customized.

I have currently frame from team : on downtube biiig logo "bb386evo" , but BB is BSA :) but have small decal "racing division", not present in "regular" frameset. Weight also differs from advertised ( in plus ).
For those who suspect "china" frame- no, bought from dealer, who supplies local teams ( Benelux ), frame is registered at manufacturer website, all is "legal".
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

sharkman

by sharkman

Most "pro rider" framesets can be recognized by the absense of serial numbers (or the removal before these where sold by the team). Most teamframes have alloy dropout which isn't too weird
when one seas the force and speed qr's are closed after a punture.....

stormur

by stormur

Not nessecary - S-Works has serials, plus additional sticker on BB. Lapierre has serial, but also additional decals ( frame characteristic )... But these frames which arrive to teams "naked" - teams paint it, indeed has no serials.

Dropouts can be alu or just alu sleeves pressed and glued to carbon dropout. Seen both.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There are a lot easier ways to "add weight" simply to meet UCI requirements. Consider the extra weight a solid performance enhancement to help alleviate a lot of the issues associated with Pressfit Bottom Brackets. Be happy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Are these sleeves available for the public to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk