New to road tubeless with questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

I am planning on delving into the road tubeless for the next riding season. I have picked up wheels and some Schwalbe Pro Ones. What does everyone carry out on the road.. ie; extra tube CO2's, some kind of patch. I understand some take super glue and a patch for a side wall gash. Hope you guy's can enlighten me.. Thanks

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I'm a bit of a "wing and a prayer person" but I carry a pair of CO2 cannisters & a spare tube.

Steve

PS. and a mobile phone 8)
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

A mini pump and a cell phone.

On Campag 2 way wheels, the tires are so hard to get on/off the first few tries that a roadside tube install is essentially impossible. If the tires have been mounted a few times, it's easier.

tinozee

by tinozee

I carry nothing usually. Once you have 10,000+ miles without a tubeless flat, you can decide if you want to keep carrying stuff. My roads are New England and Czech Republic which are pretty beat up. The one time I got a puncture with road tubeless I just put the hole to the bottom and let the stan's seal the deal, then rode home 12 miles or so with 55psi. I don't like to use a bag, so I like to have pocket room for food, iphone. The less stuff floppin around the better, this is a big benefit of tubeless imo.
Last edited by tinozee on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devon

by Devon

Super glue seems excessive. Have you ever actually slashed a sidewall?

Come to think of it, that unused tube I've been shoving in my pocket for the last few years may need replacing... I honestly don't remember the last time I got a puncture on a road bike.

I'd go with a regular tube and co2 combo though, will get you home.

Marin

by Marin

Regular tube, mini pump, mini patch kit, 1 bank note for patching sidewalls. Same as with a tube really.

defride

by defride

Where I am the roads are poorly maintained and there are lots of thorns and flint. In two years on tubeless Ultremo and for the most part One's I've had two sidewall slashes and a dozen punctures that wouldn't seal. In that time there'd have been many more punctures riding only on tubes.

The thorns always seal but anything greater than 1.5mm or so I find there is usually enough pressure to force too much sealant out too quickly and I need to resort to a tube and repair the inside of the tyre at home.

I always go out when riding tubeless as I would riding tubes, never had significant problems getting the tyres off and back on Easton rims. In an area with better conditions I'd likely take less out.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Mini pump preferred to CO2 for me - most common issue with Road Tubeless is to have a puncture which seals nicely but with some pressure loss. Cold CO2 can set sealant prematurely so it's nice to be able to just top up the pressure without using a whole cartridge each time. Beyond that, a small tube and an energy bar with a decent wrapper to boot a slashed sidewall.

If it's a summer ride and you have a tubeless set up that is long enough established to know it holds pressure reliably and not so old that the sealant might have dried then it's not crazy to go out with nothing IMHO.

I do like it as a technology but the advantages will only be properly realised for summer riding when they start making lighter, more supple tires and relying on sealant to keep them reliable. Possibly like the new Vittoria Corsa Speeds....?

stoney

by stoney

petromyzon wrote:I do like it as a technology but the advantages will only be properly realised for summer riding when they start making lighter, more supple tires and relying on sealant to keep them reliable. Possibly like the new Vittoria Corsa Speeds....?

Have the tried the Specialized S-Works Turbo Road Tubeless? It was one of the top performers of a recent rolling resistance test posted on VeloNews. I'm guessing that tire would be "supple".

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The schwable one gets holed far too often for my liking. I carry a tube and I have had a sidewall hole that would not seal. I should carry some of those tyre worms as that is better solution than trying to patch the tyre at the road side. That is likely not to work. Besides mostly with a big puncture you loose air and cannot hold pressure above 30 to 40 psi which actually is O.K on tubeless. It will get you home just fine.

IRC make fairly light tubeless tyres 23mm is 245g or something like that. These are rather nice.

audiojan

by audiojan

A Vittoria PitStop and a cellphone. With the sealant in the tire, I never had a flat so far (for well over 6k miles on crappy roads).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

A tube and a CO2. If I flat on road tubeless, I just put a tube in the tire and ride on.

You might also want to keep a small rag in your car to rinse off the residue when you finish your ride, because when tubeless sealant dries, its a PITA to get off.

beatle

by beatle

I am so done with tubes, period. I carry CO2, superglue, and a self sticking tube patch. For holes that don't seal, let the tire lose pressure, apply superglue to the tire, apply the tube patch overtop of the glue, wait, inflate. The patch/glue just provides a surface to allow the sealant (oh yeah Orange seal int he tire already) to clot.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

A tube and a mini pump, because I always have, and leaving then at home after never needing them with tubeless is not so much tempting fate as actively begging it.

Devon

by Devon

beatle wrote:I am so done with tubes, period. I carry CO2, superglue, and a self sticking tube patch. For holes that don't seal, let the tire lose pressure, apply superglue to the tire, apply the tube patch overtop of the glue, wait, inflate. The patch/glue just provides a surface to allow the sealant (oh yeah Orange seal int he tire already) to clot.

Sounds like the process takes longer than sticking a tube in...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com