Venge with Red or Allez with Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikericer

by bikericer

I am getting the new bike itch. I currently ride a S-Works Venge with Red and either open pros or 404 wheels. I'm thinking of selling it to build an Allez with Record and either Shamals or Bora Clinchers. Pros/Cons? Thoughts?

Devon

by Devon

You're opening up the Shimano vs Camapgnolo debate. This post will go nowhere :roll:

Really what you need to say here is what you use it for. You are looking to swap an aero bike for more of an all-rounder, which would be sensible if you want to be doing more endurance type activities. I think the groupset question is solely down to preference and has little relevance here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emcardle

by emcardle

Allez Sprint?

russianbear

by russianbear

Why would you downgrade to an entry level aluminum frame?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Don't do it! I tried an SWorks Allez with Red22 for about 6 months, I really liked the idea of the frame, then went straight back to carbon. I had trouble with lateral stiffness, and I didn't like the way it handled much either. Back to carbon again for me.

Coincidentally, in going back to carbon I also changed to Campag (Chorus). A first for me. It's still growing on me but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the thumb shifters after years with Shimano / SRAM. Looks amazing though!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

makes zero sense to me, both nice bikes but seems a significant downgrade - unless you're always breaking carbon or need to chop in the venge and get some cash spare for something else?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

doesn't make sense to me either, if you want to try campy just buy the record and hang it off your venge?

If you are getting tired of the Venge frameset maybe try a Tarmac? If you're tired of carbon maybe try a custom alloy/steel/ti frame? Allez feels like a bit of a downgrade to replace an S-works venge (more of an n+1 bike I feel)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

I've tried alu because of the coolness but it's heavy, spongy and not fun to ride. Never ever again!
velonode.cc

Pottsy

by Pottsy

I have both. SW Venge with Sram Red & a SW Allez with Record.

The Allez is a nice ride no doubt, but I prefer my Venge.

sawyer

by sawyer

I'd rather have the Venge with Red

If it's just a standard Allez frame then it is a huge downgrade
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Devon

by Devon

aerodynamiq wrote:I've tried alu because of the coolness but it's heavy, spongy and not fun to ride. Never ever again!

You rode the wrong Aluminium!

Tom14

by Tom14

Devon wrote:
aerodynamiq wrote:I've tried alu because of the coolness but it's heavy, spongy and not fun to ride. Never ever again!

You rode the wrong Aluminium!

+1 I have an Allez and it's an impressive bike. But for next season I'm going to buy a Venge.

sawyer

by sawyer

Standard Allez = well made but not exciting or impressive

SW Allez is a different beast, but still inferior to Venge
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Im not sure why you would consider the Allez over the Sprint unless you meant the Sprint. The Sprint would definitely be worth giving a test ride at the very least. A different ride for sure from the Allez. Good problems to have though. Good luck.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com