uci and disc brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grid256

by grid256

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I find that the buzz seems to switch between aero, light weight and disc depending upon what the industry is trying to sell at the moment. Interesting coincidence?

As many are likely aware, the UCI has been rumored to be considering a drop in the current 6.8kg bike weight limit. So, if this happens, would it be tricky to build a disc road bike lighter than 6.8kg's? I ask because none of the climbers would ride anything a gram over the limit in a grand tour seeing as they've also been starving themselves for the last 9 years as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

When the manufacturers have it all figured out, I will embrace disc brakes. For now, we don't know what the standard will eventually be. For example, as of today, Campagnolo has no disc offerings in their group sets or wheels. The Pinarello F8 Disk frame comes with QR while some other manufacturers are using Thru-Axle. As a consumer possibly in the market for my next build, I think I will wait this one out. I am not going to be a test pilot for this only to have the standard changed the following model year.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would like disc brakes for a bike when it's dirty, wet and/ or cold.

But this kind of riding would ask for wider tire clearance to (wider tires is better in less ideal conditions)

I wonder though, since aero has been the latest after light weight. There were some notes showing the drag induced from using disc brakes,

almost cancel out the aero gain, compared to using rim brakes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

fogman

by fogman

ydmint wrote:nice

This member has 40 posts with the word "nice". Please ban him as he is an obvious spammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.