Dura Ace Wireless / Hydro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

Apologies ahead of time, but the rumor is that Shimano is going to introduce the next Dura Ace at the 2016 Tour. It will be wireless and have DA level hydro brakes. Most likely unmarked prototypes will begin being spotted in late 1st qtr early 2nd qtr 2016. Product roll out to consumers will be late 1st qtr 2017. Which means Shimano will hit a public wireless roll out about 1 yr after SRAM.

Facetiously speaking, after my bike is wireless with lightweight hydro discs and carbon tubeless wheels...I guess there will literally be nothing more to upgrade, given that all other parts are suitably high end.

Lastly, I heard this from a prominent manufacturer. If I were you I would take me with a massive grain of salt :)

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

This is what I am waiting for before I start the painfully expensive "upgrade" (i.e. 100% replacement of 2 entire bikes). By then my Lightweight brake rims will have worn out (again), so I won't have to cry about ditching them for a disc version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I've heard the rumours too. This could be the generation that Shimano orphans Dura Ace mechanical. Now if you just bough the last generation Dura Ace EPS compared to wireless your group will look last century. Kind of a forced upgrade I think.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

thewallace

by thewallace

Don't hold your breath, it won't be wireless

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Having worked with many wireless electronic devices.... I can honestly state that I am not too excited about a wireless group set with multiple batteries to worry about.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

frames made for current di2.. who needs wireless. I like 1 battery does it all approach, I have enough batteries in my speed, cadence and power meter.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Ozrider

by Ozrider

There is still good demand for cable operated group sets. Di2 bikes are probably 5-10% of the Dura Ace market ( this is my thumb suck estimate) if you look at all the bikes fitted with OEM Dura Ace.
Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Merida, Canyon etc, etc sell millions of DA 9000 bikes a year with only the top models being Di2.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Stueys

by Stueys

Whilst we still need holes in the frame for brake cables I'm honestly not seeing an advantage in wireless gears.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm in the camp that trusts wires and mechanical over wireless and electronic. Plus its less expensive. of course its important to support the bike shop and bike companies....

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2015/11 ... ore-money/
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Sorry to raise the issue, but can you please point to where you are getting these "rumors" regarding the next-gen DA going wireless? Is there an article, or just talk? I don't recall anyone seeing/saying anything regarding the next generation. We don't even know when that will be released, much less what form factor the Di2 system will have.

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

Yes, it's really just talk, with the talk being between me and specific people I know who work in the American bicycle manufacturing industry. What I stated is a rumor, meaning that there's no way for me to objectively verify what I hear. Fortunately, if the general timeframes are correct we won't have to wait too long before unmarked test mules start making their appearances. I'm sure other people's info might vary, but I've not yet personally heard anything that completely contradicts the above. I personally would be most interested in a DA level caliper, rotor and shift/brake lever as 785's are pretty heavy, long bodied and thick as compared to 9070. Whether or not it's wireless for me is less of a priority - although I think eTap is awesome - it took me about 15 minutes to internally rout the wires on my DA Di2 and I haven't touched them in 2 years. Mostly, I'd just like lighter road discs. I'm very interested to see really how much can be done in that regard as, again folks on the manufacturing side I've spoken with, have told me it's going to be very difficult to cut significant amounts of weight off of disc systems already extant. Think 785...is it possible to cut an additional 500 grams from that system? 200 grams? 150? Motion gets dissipated into heat and heat needs to disperse into mass. Thus master cylinders, fluid volume, calipers, pads and rotors can only get so small. So, I'm very interested in where this goes.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I'd like to see a hybrid wireless setup with the two derailleurs wired together (just a short run through the chain stay) powered by a single rear battery that is hidden. Would seem to allow the infrequent charges needed with Di2 with the cleanness of eTap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superdx

by superdx

Hydraulic rim brakes please. I would upgrade immediately.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

dwaharvey wrote:I'd like to see a hybrid wireless setup with the two derailleurs wired together (just a short run through the chain stay) powered by a single rear battery that is hidden. Would seem to allow the infrequent charges needed with Di2 with the cleanness of eTap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why not wireless recharging? Already have devices that don't need to be plugged into to recharge, just nearby. Probably a spare watt or two on the descents.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

salesguy

by salesguy

For those familiar with the CAN protocol (which Di2 uses, and your car) - it's not suitable for wireless. Sure there are some clunky wireless bridges but it would not work well. So the system would need a redesign on the comms side which certainly can be done, but isn't easy.

I do like the idea of wireless shifters to a wired front/rear mech. That could work fine and eliminate the longest run of wiring and clean things up.

The rumors I have heard, directly from the horses mouth so to speak is no wireless. Obviously that can change, but I'd expect to see DA Hydro far before wireless Di2.