Campagnolo Bora one 35

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Hi everyone, planning on getting some campagnolo bora one 35s as the ultras are way over budget! but has anyone thought about putting a ceramic speed upgrade kit in the bora ones? a set of ultra 35s is £1500-2000 (depending on tub or clincher) from wiggle and the bora one 35 tubs are £980 and the ceramic speed campy kit is £130.

Has anyone done this before? :D

mimason

by mimason

Why do this? The Bora One bearings are excellent on their own. The only ceramic bearings I would trust to hold up to bad weather and be durable are the CULTs in the Ultras.

My experience with ceramic bearings in other wheelsets is they suck for durability
Last edited by mimason on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agree with @mimason. The CULT bearings incorporate not only ceramic balls but the races are specially treated stainless steel (Cronitec). In contrast to other ceramic "hybrid" bearings which are ceramic balls running inside steel races. The real benefit in the campy high end hubs is the precise cup and cone interface which allows for super fine adjustment and fit for the bearings. Versus a simple cartridge bearing in many other hubs. They just don't work as well and you can't adjust them for wear. The ceramic bearings are nice and all, but admittedly mostly sold on bling factor. They do however seem pretty impervious to water in my experience and wear really well. So if you really want the ceramic bearings might as well spring for the Ultras at the start. Because then at least the rims will say "Ultra" on them. :)
Oh, and if you did go the Bora One route and get some ceramic bearings, the races, which are pressed into the hubs, would still not be the Cronitec races found in the Ultras, so you're still not getting the super durable CULT setup. You could replace the races as well, but then you'd probably be getting into the same cost as if you had just bought the ultras in the first place by the time labor and the new cups are factored in.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Looks like stock bora ones thanks for the advice all :thumbup:

ohhyeok90

by ohhyeok90

I agree with no need to ceramic things!

fogman

by fogman

I have two sets of Bora Ones. Tubular 50 and clincher 35. I could not justify paying the extra premium for the CULT bearings. They are great wheels. No problems so far.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

jet520

by jet520

I think just buy what you really like as much as you can afford, otherwise you will still think the top one is better the what you have now. Good luck!

From my iPhone Tapatalk

siklis

by siklis

Bora one is also on ceramic bearing (USB), just not as smooth as CULT. At least that is what campag advertise :noidea:
Bianchi Infinito CV + campag SR + F6R DT240s 6.66kg
Bianchi Methanol SX 29er + XX1 + ztr crest + hope pro2 9.30kg
Giant TCR Advanced 3 + ultegra 10s + campy shamal ultra 7.40 kg

nick707

by nick707

not much in it.
i strong recommend Bora One.

sawyer

by sawyer

Suwoni wrote:bora Ultra good wheel.
But bora one wheel good ceiling.
Cheap and insufficient and/or durability, all clouds.
Ultra if their spare time.
There, bora one of it seems to be enough if can not afford.

My thoughts exactly
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

boysa

by boysa

A regular wordsmith. Shakespearian, I should say.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

eric01

by eric01

Bora Ultra also has carbon fiber hubs instead of the alloy ones in the One. Weight difference for tubular 35's is 1160 vs 1215. Using the prices the OP quoted, is a 55g savings and upgraded ceramic bearings worth 500 gbp? Probably not if budget is even a consideration
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

sawyer

by sawyer

IIRC the Ones are generally coming in lighter than claimed ... not sure re the Ultras. My 35 Ones are 1195g

On the One hubs, unless you are pro, you will be riding better hubs than most other riders
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Delorre

by Delorre

sawyer wrote:IIRC the Ones are generally coming in lighter than claimed ... not sure re the Ultras. My 35 Ones are 1195g

On the One hubs, unless you are pro, you will be riding better hubs than most other riders

Correct, my Bora One 35 clincher's are 1386 instead of 1406. Me happy with that. Most of the time, it the other way around... Build quality and finish are :shock:

MJB

by MJB

I chose the 24.2 rim Bora One 35 tubular wheels. Best all round wheel I've ever ridden on and I've tried heaps of fancy wheelsets over the years.

The 35mm profile front catches only the slightest of crosswinds (genuine 45km/hr crosswind on wide open rural roads) When decending rapidly with a proper crosswind - finally I've found a pair of wheels that are rock steady on the front end yet accelerate quickly enough to motivate me to push harder and faster and yet provide a ride that is so comfortable..... (yes tyres play a part in this too)

My set came in at 494 grams front and 694 grams rear which makes my Colnago EP with mech Super Record not such a heavy slug at all. The Bora One ceramic balls have now worn in and I have a very good looking (Dark label) wheelset that has decent braking, light enough to have no excuses to climb any mountain and have a beautiful balance of acceleration worthiness and momentum holding that makes these my ideal all round wheelset. Worth every single cent of my hard earned dollars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com