supersix himod or caad 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

If you want a rain or crit bike just get a complete caad with rival on craigslist for $800. Save the Campy and enve wheels for the evo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

If i was you i would buy an evo with super record and some fulcrim Racing zeros and then save up for some wheels later?

I'm currently in the same situation as you. Building a caad10 with zipp 404, enve cockpit and etap.. But deep inside i know i will get an evo later... But i already own the frame, wheels, cockpit and have paid the deposit for the Etap.

Devon

by Devon

Nejmann, I'm looking forward to seeing a build thread for this...!

frohrider

by frohrider

I ride both, a CAAD10 (was on a '12 and just switched to a '15) and an EVO. Most races I do on the CAAD. As others said, use what you can replace. The EVO has the better comfort and fork, but it's just to expensive in case something happens. I set mine up with Super Record and Chorus, and the performance difference is non existent in my opinion (the cult cranks bearings are superb, but I ride Quarq and InPower Powermeters on these bikes). Bora or CCU.. see the pictures below. I like them both.

Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

nobuseri

by nobuseri

frohrider wrote:I ride both, a CAAD10 (was on a '12 and just switched to a '15) and an EVO. Most races I do on the CAAD. As others said, use what you can replace. The EVO has the better comfort and fork, but it's just to expensive in case something happens. I set mine up with Super Record and Chorus, and the performance difference is non existent in my opinion (the cult cranks bearings are superb, but I ride Quarq and InPower Powermeters on these bikes). Bora or CCU.. see the pictures below. I like them both.

Props on the larger frames! I ride a 63cm on both my EVO and CAAD. :beerchug:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

nickf

by nickf

I was on a CAAD9 for years and just got a 2015 evo hi mod. As much as i loved my usa made caad the evo is just a better riding bike. The caad was stiff which i didn't mind but the evo has the nice snappy feel but with comfort on the rough stuff. Components can be upgraded. Get the best frame you can get ahold of.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i use a caad10 for training and racing. it's a sick bicycle. get it. it's not as pricey to replace aluminum when crash money millionaires strike your crit.

#aluminati

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Devon wrote:Nejmann, I'm looking forward to seeing a build thread for this...!

Argh pressure.. Wasn't my plan to make a build thread.. Maybe i should.

Multebear

by Multebear

I have both a Caad 10 and Evo HM as well. And I must say, the Evo rides like nothing I have ever ridden before. I had the top Giant Propel Advances SL 0 with DA Di2 before, but the Evo just feels so much better, stiffer and faster, even though it's not an aerobike.

The Caad 10 rides very well indeed for a aluminum frame, buts its nothing compared to the Evo. I don't understand all the hype about the Caad 10 though. It sure looks good, but it's a pretty harsh ride. Maybe it's because I ride it 4-5 times a week now during the winter. It's definitely something that I feel in the back, neck and lower back. I have no problems with the Evo whatsoever. And they are fitted exactly the same.

My vote would definitely be the Evo.

And BTW stay away from Campa. It sure looks good, and it's very nice of you to support a smaller company - kind of a David and Goliath thing. I was on Campa before, but I got so tired of paying double for everything. Chorus cassette is 100 €, ultegra cassette is 50 € and so on. Besides that, if you want to upgrade wheels, its so much easier to get 2nd hand wheels with shimano body instead of Campa. Not to mention, if you want to sell wheels.

Shimano isnt bling, but it just does the job perfectly without complaint. Campa is italian, its not always working smoothly.

Just my 50 cents.

Devon

by Devon

frohrider wrote:I ride both, a CAAD10 (was on a '12 and just switched to a '15) and an EVO. Most races I do on the CAAD. As others said, use what you can replace. The EVO has the better comfort and fork, but it's just to expensive in case something happens. I set mine up with Super Record and Chorus, and the performance difference is non existent in my opinion (the cult cranks bearings are superb, but I ride Quarq and InPower Powermeters on these bikes). Bora or CCU.. see the pictures below. I like them both.

[img]
[img]

Oh. <3

Big frames, straight posts and campy. You sir, have it spot on.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Multebear wrote:but I got so tired of paying double for everything. Chorus cassette is 100 €, ultegra cassette is 50 € and so on. Besides that, if you want to upgrade wheels, its so much easier to get 2nd hand wheels with shimano body instead of Campa. Not to mention, if you want to sell wheels.

To be fair, the compatibility of 11 speed Shimano and Campy cassettes is well documented. I doubt this will be an issue.

That said, I must agree with you on the Shimano stuff working better, though I haven't tried the latest 11 speed campy stuff.

In terms of frame, carbon can be repaired, aluminium can be replaced - I don't think a repair will be too much more expensive than a new CAAD frame - especially if you're getting it custom sprayed. I'd be more inclined to recommend the Evo because of this (you can even get the evo custom sprayed when/if you get it repaired...)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Devon

by Devon

istigatrice wrote:In terms of frame, carbon can be repaired, aluminium can be replaced - I don't think a repair will be too much more expensive than a new CAAD frame - especially if you're getting it custom sprayed. I'd be more inclined to recommend the Evo because of this (you can even get the evo custom sprayed when/if you get it repaired...)

The difference is, carbon NEEDS to be repaired. The chances of breaking it are 100% in my experience over equivalent aluminium frames.

Multebear

by Multebear

istigatrice wrote:
To be fair, the compatibility of 11 speed Shimano and Campy cassettes is well documented. I doubt this will be an issue.

I read this a lot, but I wonder, how many people actually tried this for more than just a couple of rides.

When I switched from campa to shimano I still had several campa wheelsets. Which is why I had to ride like that for severel 1000 km. As time went, I got my wheels changed to Shimano one by one. And I must say, compability yes, but definitely not more than that.

The shifting, even though I now ride di2 DA, is far from perfect. There's more noise from chain and cassette, and the shifting is not always like a glove, like it is when everything is shimano. It's just not a durable solution.

Next thing is, if you are riding top groupsets, you're just not satisfied with mixed companys. You paid that extra money to get that little extra satisfaction.

Devon

by Devon

Until I got a pair of Campagnolo Khamsins this year, I'd never redden a Camapgnolo freehub with 10 speed Campy groupset. Ever.

No issues using Ambrosio cassettes and Shimano wheels. Cheaper wheel; half price cassette. Win.

Dennistwowheels

by Dennistwowheels

Thanks for the many replies ! , isn't making the choice any more easy though. Best choice seems to be to buy 2 bikes instead of one , how unexpected ! :D
SO the choice then becomes, which to buy and build first?; the crit racer with flash components which i will then later transfer to the flash carbon bike, or vice versa?

Nejman: Build definitely needs a thread !

Frohrider: some great bikes over there, and components which match my preference. Why did you pick bora 35's instead of 50's ?

About the costs of replacement, the evo frameset costs me about 1000 euros and the caad 10 will be about 770. I am not willing to pay more for a frameset which i will race (and probably replace). I reckon i could find another caad or evo for the same amount or less when time comes, so the costs would not be such an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com