Brakes for wide rim width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

muntos

by muntos

I'm building my first road bike and I just noticed that most of the brakes can't (or are not designed to) accommodate wider rims.
I have a pair of Bontrager Aeolus 3 wheels that are 27mm wide.
Looking at Dura Ace I see max 26mm, FSA K-Force 23mm is some specifications.
1) Is that true and I should carefully look for a brakeset that is designed for wide rims, like FSA SL-K (http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... 5-graphic/) ?
2) I really like the SRAM Red brakeset, it's considered a sacrilege to combine Shimano DI2 transmision + FSA (or Rotor) crankset + SRAM brakes :) ?

chayanat

by chayanat

go for Dura Ace!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headwind816

by headwind816

I have 6800 brakes installed and easily cleared Zipp Firecrest (demo pair for a week) and my daily Wheels Industry Nine TL25. I cannot say enough good things about the new Shimano's brakes.

I believe both KCNC and TRP make wide rim brakes but unsure exact models.

stormur

by stormur

I depends on frame as well. Width is one, but height is also point for consideration.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

LouisN

by LouisN

I can't speak for the latest Sram Red version, but the older one does not brake very well with wider 27 mm rims.
I 'm thinking of changing the brakes for DA.

Louis :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Even campagnolo super record brakes clear 26.5mm rims very well but vertical clearnance is important as differs as stormur said between frames and tyres used.

Manufacturers are conservative in there specs as they have to account for differing drops and tyres chosen which means they err on the low side.

It's not sacrilege to mix and match. Those who think it is are forgetting they are for riding not just for looking at. Who are you building it for yourself or others?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

EE has lots of clearance with my 28mm wide (brake track) Aero 55 rims.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

muntos

by muntos

bm0p700f wrote:Even campagnolo super record brakes clear 26.5mm rims very well but vertical clearnance is important as differs as stormur said between frames and tyres used.

Manufacturers are conservative in there specs as they have to account for differing drops and tyres chosen which means they err on the low side.

It's not sacrilege to mix and match. Those who think it is are forgetting they are for riding not just for looking at. Who are you building it for yourself or others?

So, how can I be sure that I'm buying some brakes that will work with my frame/rim/tyre combination? New to road biking, didn't know about this vertical clearance...
I'm building it for myself.

muntos

by muntos

wheelsONfire wrote:EE has lots of clearance with my 28mm wide (brake track) Aero 55 rims.

Sorry, EE stands for..?

mdusink

by mdusink

The latest TRP brakes are wide as well. They claim for use with 30mm rims. Also, you can consider using Swissstop flash EVO brakes. I think they are 1mm smaller per pad, so 2 mm in total.

mimason

by mimason

EE stands for eecycleworks.

Don't worry about mixing components but I think the Shimano brakes would be a logical choice. I've ridden SRAM red mixed with Force FD, Praxis rings, 7900 brakes, throw some 3T in the mix and for some reason it still rode well, in fact, better than Full RED group at the time. Can't figure out why the wheels just didn't fall off....lucky me.

If you have issues with height clearance you can use a washer to get extra height when mounting to frame for additional clearance.
Last edited by mimason on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muntos

by muntos

mdusink wrote:The latest TRP brakes are wide as well. They claim for use with 30mm rims. Also, you can consider using Swissstop flash EVO brakes. I think they are 1mm smaller per pad, so 2 mm in total.

This is exactly what I wanted to ask, noticed the FlashEvo pads that are supposed to be for "super wide aero wheels" , could be this a solution in case there's no enough space ?

muntos

by muntos

chayanat wrote:go for Dura Ace!

What brake pads are you using ? Are the Swisstop Black Prince ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com