Gwinner bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Nor larger versions beyond 600ml on Fabric, and like posted earlier, no insulated bottles either. Insulated bottles are used for hot weather was well, not just cold.

In a similar vein, there's Vincero Design's mounting system, using magnets. They're 16g each, also leave the frame 'clean'.
They offer different sizes of their water bottles (which is good, compared to Fabric's system), and their bottles take the same threading for caps as Specialized bottles, so you can use the Pure top system. But it is heavier (16g)... Ease of 'placement' is reportedly decent on Vincero. but I wonder about the Fabric cage when the space is limited.

and with both Fabric and Vincero, you are limited to whatever bottle "they" are offering.
Which is a bit annoying for many of us who get bottles all the time from different sources.

If you're racing, and on a team that offers support, your entire team needs to run the same water bottle system as you, which is a bit annoying, and you can't grab the 'neutral' bottles on hot day racing.

So, sadly, a 'cage' which can hold any bottle still has qualities which are more useful in real world applications.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Same argument, it doesn't get above 25 degrees here ;)

This is WW, why are we even considering larger than 600ml bottles? Just refill at a pub...

But yes, as I said before, the proprietary bottle is a downside. I think I'll definitely end up swapping between the fabric and a traditional wire cages from time to time.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Devon wrote:This is WW, why are we even considering larger than 600ml bottles? Just refill at a pub...

:roll:

Because some of us actually ride much, much further than you and in places where there is no "pub" or place to refill often, but we aren't wondering why you carry such small bottles because we've left the village and have an understanding that people exist who have completely different experiences, abilities and interests than you.

Devon

by Devon

Lol. Calm down dear. I forgot you can't take a joke. I'll remember I can't escape city limits on my ride tomorrow.

P.S for explanation; it was a self-effacing joke because Britain is famous for having pubs literally everywhere.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Perhaps use an icon or some other way of denoting sarcasm on the internet.

Devon

by Devon

Yes boss.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have those Blackburn cages with 25 grams or so and they are rubbish at holding bottles. The Gwinner are far better in that department than Blackburn as they do not rattle.
My comparison in sway was more made against those older band type cages from BTP, those were super noodles and could brush a calf when loaded with a full bottle when rocking the bike.

I have not used the new Tune cages, but they are far more expensive here at over €50 per piece - i.e. 43% more expensive and a few grams heavier that what I got to try out.
I don't knock Tune, they make great stuff, but with those differences I will continue to test the Gwinner.

The Fabric looks like a solution to a problem that does not exist. It locks people into their bottles and I wonder if the bottle design requires a heavier bottle. I recall there was an already ongoing discussion on this very topic somewhere. I am interested to see how they catch on. For me, as I age, having a larger target for the bottle means I can insert/extract without actually looking down and ride safer. I could be way off the mark on this thought and the Fabric might be just fine, but I again doubt they are light bottles.

Devon

by Devon

The idea behind the fabric bottles is that the bike looks amazing when there are no bottles fitted (because cages are a mess, IMHO). I guess it may be more aimed towards town/fixie riders (coming from Charge afterall) who want to keep the clean lines of a bike.

In terms of decent, light cages, I have used the 12g (each) Planet X carbon ones for many years with about 10 different bottles and never had one drop. They have occasionally rattled slightly over cobbles as the cages got older, but whoop de do. I would recommend them.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Is there an online source for these cages?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I can't seem to find the Gwinner site right now - I will try to locate that from the tag later.
But you can find the same thing directly at LBK Fertigung UG - they have a deal for two with bolts.
R2 bike also has them.

Note: there are two models, one is 7 grams the other is 9 grams.

Price appears to have been hiked up from when I got them. :(