Gwinner bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So, back in the summer I picked up two of these cages from Gwinner.

These are also available under some other brands I have seen on the net, but I went direct to Gwinner. (Apparently this is an auto sector company)
Each one came with a small sticker on it with a handwritten weight - one stated 6.9 grams and the other 7.0 grams.
For the weight the price was quite acceptable. I recall mine were about €35 per piece.
I have been using them on the bike I have set up for climbing (which I am still terrible at, by the way.)
Some thoughts on them:
- They have a more polished look than expected but still some rough edges - which is expected for something this light.
- The rough edges have not hindered bottle insertion, but I don't make it a habit yet of jamming bottles down super hard. The more I ride them the more I have to admit that my fear of 'fragile' carbon pieces is perhaps overdone. They have a flexibility that can take a good hit.
- With no bottle loaded it would seem that the tension is not enough to hold a bottle securely, but oddly enough, I have not had an ejection yet and I have to ride over cobbles in any direction I choose from my ride starting point - both downhill and up.
- They do not require bottle cage bolts that are flush or low profile as the bottle does not abut the bolt area when installed.
- I have only used 500 to 600 ml bottles so far. As there is no top retention lip on these cages, I would hesitate to use a full 750 ml bottle.
- There is certainly more flex in the cages when the bottle is full than an Arundel (zero flex) but there is no visible swaying with the Gwinners.
- For a climbing bike the cages are appropriate. I personally would not use these in a criterium, where smacking a bottle down is a regular occurrence.

I will try to upload a shot of these on the bike eventually.

- Stoli

Devon

by Devon

Stolichnaya wrote:I would hesitate to use a full 750 ml bottle.

Surely that would defeat the point in spending $70 on 7g bottle cages anyway :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

A R U N D E L.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

PSM, WE HEAR YOU!!!
:D
Arundel are wonderful, faithful and arguably the best cages on the market. I use them too.
But trying something new is also in order.
These Gwinners are more than 3 times lighter than the Arundels, cost less and seem to work acceptably well.
No worries, I won't leave Arundel behind. I still need big bottles once and a while after all. :wink:

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

why not opt for tune's cages then? same weight, more or less same price and you can use 750ml bottles...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Arundel is nice!

But heavy, heavy, heavy by comparison...
I'm using a variation of the open-mold cages, 16g a piece, and they hold bottles (both large and small, anything I've tried works) without being too tight nor losing any bottles regardless if I'm on road or off. And they cost a fraction of what Arundel's asking.

But the ultra-light weight bottle cages, those are worthy of discussion. :twisted:
Getting cages sub 10g that work well in all circumstances is like chasing down a visible unicorn... it's there, in the distance, and attainable, we just aren't there quite yet.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

PSM, please enlighten us on what your comment ads to the discussion, as I fail to see the point.

Please keep in mind that this forum is called W E I G H T W E E N I E S
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

PSM

by PSM

I am sorry. Maybe I am not a real weenie but this was actually 3 times LIGHTER!(?) Sorry... :lol:

ohhyeok90

by ohhyeok90

light weight is good, but bottle cage should do his job.

PSM

by PSM

But if this cage actually grab the bottle and there's no rattle, I like it. But I doubt that.

I have used Tune Wassertäger in the past. They were light. But not very steady. It requires quite a lot of force to get out of the bottle also...
My BlackBurn looked nice but there was a lot of rattleing.

Function before weight. :wink:

Devon

by Devon

It's been brought up in other topics a few times, but if you truly want lightweight 'cages' (1.5g each) you should be looking at fabric. And yes they work - really well. Both on and off road. Secure fit, no rattle (but you do have to use a proprietary bottle).

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

WOW... Fabric.... so simple but so clever...
Anybody uses them???
If they are good, I am in for it...

Weight, looks.... costs....

Please share experiences....
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

Devon

by Devon

Mine are on pre-order (the colour option I want was delayed) however I've experienced them at trade shows and have friends who use them. They're rock solid.

I'll post-back when they arrive.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

too bad that Fabric doesn't offer an insulated version of their bottles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Being a UK brand, their target market will be British riders. We never see temps cold enough for insulated bottles.