Photo's of the Campagnolo Disc brake system. Who has them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

It is known as thinking outside the box... Ha!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I actually don't mind the concept... one of the uglinesses of hydro disc brakes on road bikes is currently the hideous levers. I wonder if they could hide the hydraulic lines in the forks as well since that is another big "ugliness". And while they're at it, if they could just hide those godawful ugly rotors on my otherwise beautiful wheels. Lol... oh wait... why don't we just stay with rim brakes.

Still, I just don't see the need for discs on my high end road bikes, but am watching with great interest, especially this development. Curious as to how one would access the complexities of the hydraulics that which are stuffed into the handlebars. Interesting, nonetheless.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Interesting though guessing a special handlebar will be required for this??

ph

by ph

@ghisallo2003 Neat find on the patent filing though it still isn't too clear to me how the system would work. The reference to the translation engine cracked me up.

Devon

by Devon

roadhog44 wrote:Interesting though guessing a special handlebar will be required for this??

They have no ties to component manufacturing so there would be no reason for them to do that. I imagine any bar suitable for internal cable routing will work. Maybe??

A hydraulic brake reservoir and piston are pretty tiny, after all and would fit within the oversized part of a bar.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

It seems to me they're keeping the handlebar reservoir method as an option for pairing hydraulic brakes with mechanical shifting.

For their EPS groupsets it wouldn't be much of a problem to put the reservoir in the shift body, as per this patent that they filed: United States Patent Application 20150135881

I'm pretty sure they're rather intent on keeping the shift body shape as nice as it has always been, no bulky abominations as from SRAM or Shimano. 8)
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I am glad it close but if the pro's get in spring we won't see it until 2017.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Curious about how this will affect Ergo lever design.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

mjduct

by mjduct

no photos but I do have the patent document they filed:

http://www.google.com/patents/EP2813420A1?cl=en

reservoirs will be built into the handlebar... I'm thinking maybe a collaboration with Deda to use the 35mm bars for the extra room???

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Bold move. I expect many complaints due to the system not being "fully hydraulic". Then we will start to experience and probably will be just another top notch Campag product, so haters will keep on hating and predicting the demise of Campagnolo in 3 years time (something I heard for the first time in 1982) and the rest of us will just use and enjoy it, just like EPS, 11s, etc.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Guys. Did nobody see the other patent referred to above? With the reservoir in the EPS ergolever body?

mjduct

by mjduct

The way I read the patent applications (I'm no expert) that patent application is over a year older than the one filed with the reservoir in the handlebar. I figure they are playing with many things, the larger reservoir in the handlebar should have some good advantages if they go that way (campy never seemed to give a carp about proprietary designs alienating users), less likely to boil your fluid if you have 3-4 times as much in each reservoir, also you can get a lot more compression and have either A: a lot more movement in the calipers to make up for sloppy wheel changes, and/or B: a ton more power...

Either way I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade the Chorus group wired to BB7's on my Titanium Salsa Colossal!

I'll take a new bar too if I have to =]

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Interesting point about the larger reservoirs, hopefully that's right. It's one of my main complaints with discs, even in mountain biking, that the clearances are so tiny. If they can move more fluid and in turn allow the pistons to be set up further apart that would be a big selling point for me. It drives me nuts that on my winter bike I still have brake rub at times, it's just moved from the rim/brake to the rotor!

I honestly can't see the need for any more power, it's already very very easy to lock up either wheel in pretty much any conditions on a road or CX bike. I could maybe see the need on a mountain bike, but even then I'd struggle to justify it.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

I can't imagine them to nail their users down to one or maybe two handlebars at launch. If anything those in-handlebar reservoirs will be pretty small, probably not 3-4 larger than what they can fit in EPS ergos. To me this really looks more like a workaround for adding hydraulic disc brakes to a mechanical groupset at no change to the look of the shifter body.

But yes, everything is speculation at this point. :( Is it January yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com