Trek - no love on WW?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

It's only just occurred to me that I've never seen a Trek on WW. With them claiming the Emonda range is the lightest on the market, has anyone built one?

Pieter

by Pieter

Then look better. I've seen several Emonda's on here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Charming.

Exar

by Exar

Pieter is right - Fifth thread on the 'Introduce yourself' board.
Chains to the right!

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah... without being too snobbish I don't think an SL at seven and a half kilos is what he's talking about... :wink:

defride

by defride

It's up to members to put their bikes up. Often see Emonda talked about in the context of light frames, not so many LW builds shown off, perhaps they're all out riding?

sawyer

by sawyer

For whatever reason Trek are not competitive in the frameset only market ... many of us on WW go that route so Trek naturally rule themselves out

Very very few high end Trek's here on the roads in the UK for the same reason

I would not rule them out otherwise as the engineering and performance looks good
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Devon

by Devon

wingguy wrote:Yeah... without being too snobbish I don't think an SL at seven and a half kilos is what he's talking about... :wink:

8)

sawyer wrote:For whatever reason Trek are not competitive in the frameset only market ... many of us on WW go that route so Trek naturally rule themselves out

Very very few high end Trek's here on the roads in the UK for the same reason

I would not rule them out otherwise as the engineering and performance looks good

Valid points. They are definitely available, and/or are becoming more available as framesets, but yes, you are right. They are very much within the frame and own-brand components category.
Last edited by Devon on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

In defense of the Tone of @Pieter, I think he didn't mean to be rude, but the language barrier kicked in a bit.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jeffy

by jeffy

sawyer wrote:For whatever reason Trek are not competitive in the frameset only market ...

i may be misremembering but i think the SLR frameset is 20% lower than it was last year, and i *think* the complete bikes are 15% cheaper (at least the SL are)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Trek Bicycle Corp have dropped the ball big time in the context of high end performance bikes.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Valbrona wrote:Trek Bicycle Corp have dropped the ball big time in the context of high end performance bikes.

Um, seriously? Trek definitely errs on the side of selling bikes and not framesets, but to say they have dropped the ball is a bit disingenuous, don't you think? Just on the road bike side, they have successfully marketed an aero bike, an ultra light climbing bike, and a really good classics/endurance bike. On the CX side, they sponsor one of the greatest CX riders of all time and the most successful US women's racer ever.

Now, returning to the original question posed, I think you need to search a little and you'll find some definite nuggets out there. There have been some really nice Trek Madone's, especially some of the older models. This board tends to be more euro-centric (not totally, but there is a euro slant to the board - don't take it as a bad thing, either), so you'll see more European brands represented. That being said, there's a large thread on the new Madone 9, the Emonda SLR had an equally large thread, and we see a bunch of posts on the SLR's. You won't find many posts on the previous generation Madone, which I think can be attributed to some controversial decisions taken on that frame (BB mounted brakes being the primary issue). Those frames were incredibly light, especially with the Vapor Coat.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yes, because they are the Ford of bicycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exar

by Exar

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131739

A Trek that's gotten a lot of attention on WW (and rightly so!)
Chains to the right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

I think Trek is more Volkswagen. Giant is Ford.