Trek - no love on WW?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Flint wrote:There does appear to be more frameset only options for 2016 in the uk. The 6 series Domane frameset although originally released at £2000, Trek have now revised the price to £2250.

I must admit I don't understand their price relativities. Domane disc frameset 2250, Boone disc frameset 1800. And the Boone frameset includes stem, not sure about the Domane.

These are very similar frames for this sort of price differential.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

beanbiken wrote:Don't doubt that Trek are a good product but not a brand I generally think about purchasing, there are other brands I feel the same about.......... maybe with Trek it is a bit about the "Lance" factor?

Steve

Funny, now you say that I actually bought my first Trek BECAUSE of the Lance factor (many years pre-confession), but stuck with them because I liked it.

For whatever reason, Specialized and Cervelo never appealed, and my previous desires for Colnago, Pinarello and the like disappeared when I first heard the term "Chitalian"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

mattjevans wrote:For whatever reason, Specialized and Cervelo never appealed, and my previous desires for Colnago, Pinarello and the like disappeared when I first heard the term "Chitalian"

Chinarello? :wink:

mattjevans

by mattjevans

With no favouritism...the term references any brand that markets on Italian framebuilding heritage but makes its frames in the same way that Giant does (nothing wrong with that, but obviously Giant don't go on about cutting down the family's mulberry tree in 1952 to make a workbench...)

amey

by amey

I like to think that Trek bikes are so awesome that the owners like to ride them instead of discussing them on internet forum(s) ;)

Flint

by Flint

amey wrote:I like to think that Trek bikes are so awesome that the owners like to ride them instead of discussing them on internet forum(s) ;)

Agree with the above. My 2015 Domane 4.5 rides really well. Was going to get a 6 series frameset to build up for summer, just wished they hadn't of put the prices up by £250.

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, Trek bikes are so much better than everything else ... we should all give up ... we're just sitting around talking about them because they are so unsatisfying to ride for goodness sake! :-0
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

mattjevans wrote:With no favouritism...the term references any brand that markets on Italian framebuilding heritage but makes its frames in the same way that Giant does (nothing wrong with that, but obviously Giant don't go on about cutting down the family's mulberry tree in 1952 to make a workbench...)

An obvious reference to Colnago, for whom the Italian framebuilding heritage still applies in the case of their top frames.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

mattjevans wrote:
beanbiken wrote:Don't doubt that Trek are a good product but not a brand I generally think about purchasing, there are other brands I feel the same about.......... maybe with Trek it is a bit about the "Lance" factor?

Steve

Funny, now you say that I actually bought my first Trek BECAUSE of the Lance factor (many years pre-confession), but stuck with them because I liked it.

For whatever reason, Specialized and Cervelo never appealed, and my previous desires for Colnago, Pinarello and the like disappeared when I first heard the term "Chitalian"

I bought my 5200 due to the Lance factor I suppose. Liked the bike, but Trek has since got itself crossed off the list when they stopped supporting English threaded bottom brackets. Can't see spending all that money and getting a creaking sound every time I ride.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

moonoi

by moonoi

fromtrektocolnago wrote:

Steve

I bought my 5200 due to the Lance factor I suppose. Liked the bike, but Trek has since got itself crossed off the list when they stopped supporting English threaded bottom brackets. Can't see spending all that money and getting a creaking sound every time I ride.[/quote]

Funny almost all of my bikes over the past 5 years have had PF BBs (Cervelo, Giant and Trek) and I haven't had any issue with creaking sounds.

Properly setup, there is no creaking issue due to PF BBs

That said, my next purchase has an Italian threaded BB :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinozee

by tinozee

I have zero interest in Trek. The TT bike was cool speed concept, but overall I agree - ford of bikes. And they remind me of the Lance era and all the robotic boy scout types in US racing back then. Plus Bontrager Ew.

Nothing against anyone who rides one or loves Trek! I'm sure they ride great, it's just a brand thing for me. I would ride one with joy if it was the only one around.

Devon

by Devon

I'm actually a fan of Bontrager kit. They're releasing some nice looking stuff at the moment.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

sawyer wrote:I suspect there is a big US/Europe divide on this one

I think that is the big difference yes. I've read that Trek sells more then 30% of all bikes in the US, well if i ride my Trek (here in Belgium) for 3 hours i maybe see one or two other Trek's.
Canyon or Speci are everywhere ... on Belgian fora you read comments that people dont want to buy a Canyon because 'everyone' has one, they are so common.

siklis

by siklis

Trek seem nice, well engineered compared to the italians. but italians hv so claim soul in the name of heritage
Bianchi Infinito CV + campag SR + F6R DT240s 6.66kg
Bianchi Methanol SX 29er + XX1 + ztr crest + hope pro2 9.30kg
Giant TCR Advanced 3 + ultegra 10s + campy shamal ultra 7.40 kg

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I think they have some good deals / bikes now. I think the emonda alr is a good deal for budget sportive riders. The Emonda SL series is light and not too expensive either. On the other hand I think their high end bikes are overpriced. And it's hard to find a worse value than the Emonda S and low-end aluminum series.

I bought my Trek Emonda SL frameset because I couldn't find a better deal back then (11/2014). I got mine for $1,400 with seat mast cap and stem. Now that frameset is $1,889 and I do think it's slightly overpriced, but it's quite hard to find a carbon frameset that's clearly better than that in this price range.
My closest bet would be the Giant TCR Advanced Pro for $2,050. OR getting a non hi-mod cannondale supersix evo bike and strip it down. Obviously Canyon would be an alternative, but they still don't ship to the US.

It has a beautiful paintjob, it does the job very-well and it's very-very light for what I paid for it. My only problem with my Trek is that it's not cool. It's a workhorse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com