Trek - no love on WW?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I find it surprising, it's actually not hard to source framesets and some of the newer models are quite light. For example, my Trek Boone weighs just under 7kgs with 50mm px rim wheels on Hope hubs and cyclocross tyres. Pretty sure I could get it to 6kgs with proper WW wheels and tubs and lighter handlebars. And the Boone isn't even one of their lightweight models.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Yeah, the Boone is quite nice. Kudos on that weight, pretty impressive for a disc frame.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

That must be the canti version of Boone, there's no way the disc version (which I also happen to own) is so light.

Other than that, I really like how it rides regardless of how generic Trek sounds. It is also clear they invest in R&D heavily, thus, their bikes are quite on the advanced side actually.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

mattjevans

by mattjevans

It's Canti

Bogan

by Bogan

Trek gets more love than Pinarello on WW.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I happen to really like Treks. They may not have the cachet of some other brands, but I think their bikes and designs are top notch.
The one area of design that I despised however was when they went with the under bottom bracket brake setup in their madones. Couldn't get past that one, so glad to see they've abandoned that on their road bikes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Agreed that the previous madone brake location sucked. The other issue I have with treks is their bb design. For whatever reason the nds bearings always die prematurely.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

sawyer wrote:For whatever reason Trek are not competitive in the frameset only market ... many of us on WW go that route so Trek naturally rule themselves out

Very very few high end Trek's here on the roads in the UK for the same reason

I would not rule them out otherwise as the engineering and performance looks good

Any bike that doesn't offer a threaded bb option is off my shopping list. Won't even consider a new Trek
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

sawyer

by sawyer

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
sawyer wrote:For whatever reason Trek are not competitive in the frameset only market ... many of us on WW go that route so Trek naturally rule themselves out

Very very few high end Trek's here on the roads in the UK for the same reason

I would not rule them out otherwise as the engineering and performance looks good

Any bike that doesn't offer a threaded bb option is off my shopping list. Won't even consider a new Trek

Fair enough though that does limit the options!

Generally I am pro threaded bbs also, though FWIW I have never had a single creak with Canyon's internal bb set-up...

Canyon arriving in US is bad news for Trek yes, and Specialized

The thing about Trek's framesets at least here in Europe is the choice is limited and there aren't many dealers selling them, meaning discounts are also limited

TBH all things considered I'd say the Emonda frameset is about 30% more expensive than it should be here ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Philbar72

by Philbar72

average bikes for the money. that's about it really.

Lugan

by Lugan

I'm in the US and I've never considered a Trek as a bike I'd purchase (same with Spec and Giant). But two weeks ago I saw a new 2016 Madone in person and I must say I was totally impressed. I didn't ride it, but it truly looked and felt very cool, unlike any Trek before. It's an impressive piece of design and engineering.

Devon

by Devon

That was exactly my thinking. Just the little features like the vector wings show how much thought goes into the process.

chpfly

by chpfly

I have been in the same boat but, after seeing the Madone9 I just picked one up. I am building it up now and will post some pictures. It really is an amazing piece of engineering.

Flint

by Flint

There does appear to be more frameset only options for 2016 in the uk. The 6 series Domane frameset although originally released at £2000, Trek have now revised the price to £2250.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Don't doubt that Trek are a good product but not a brand I generally think about purchasing, there are other brands I feel the same about.......... maybe with Trek it is a bit about the "Lance" factor?

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com