Trek - no love on WW?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

You do get a lifetime warranty with Trek. I know a few guys who all bought bi-titan Colnagos back in the day and they all got burned when they broke out of the 1 year warranty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

My Trek 5200 is indestructible. Been riding it for almost 15 years. Still looks like new.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

michel2

by michel2

i am on my third superfly warrantee frame, the second one has also been repaired two months in....these are such a heap of shit that i cant (and others with me) even sell the frame....
so euhm.. no love from me

corky

by corky

siklis wrote:Trek seem nice, well engineered compared to the italians. but italians hv so claim soul in the name of heritage

Just the word 'TREK'...... Doesn't really convey anything fast does it?........

I'm shallow like that......

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

I never thought I´d own a Trek, simply because there was nothing compelling in my mind about the brand.

However I now have a Domane team issue and a Speed Concept project one and they are both awesome bikes. The local Trek shop has been great and I really don´t have anything bad to say about the brand, other than if you want people to drool over your bike on WW, don´t get a Trek.

eric01

by eric01

They actually have a very compelling road line up these days. Both horizontally across endurance, aero, lightweight and price points. Same could not be said just a few years back.

I think today quite a few folks who get to test ride would have a "I didn't think I'd like the bike, but its actually pretty good. I certainly did when I had a chance to try out an SLR.

Ultimately I think the reason why it doesn't get any love is because Trek is a big company; it is mainstream. "Weight weenies" is not mainstream. Those of us who spend $$$ to install aluminum or nylon bolts to save a few grams... we're definitely not mainstream
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

kgt

by kgt

Another reason IMHO is that Treks are not sexy at all. Maybe among the most boring frames in terms of design. The new Madone tries to make a breakthrough but still there are many many sexier frames around.

toblu

by toblu

My winter build is an Emonda slr H2 geometry size 60.
Enve 3.4 clincher
Schwalbe one tyres
Bontrager brakes
Built my own seatpost
Tune speedneedle saddle
Chineese integrated handlebar/stem
Thats it for now. Im waiting and hoping to get hold of a SRAM Etap groupset. Havent found a clear deliverydate from any store yet, all info on Etap is just floating around...
Size 60 H2 geometry will never be realy light, but maybe 6200g is a fair guess?
First roadbike build for me and i realy enjoy the build phase.
Sorry if my spelling is bad, im from Sweden. Spent more time on the trail than doing homework when i was a kid in school...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Two features that appeal to me in Trek: direct mount brakes and integrated ant+ speed/cadence sensor in the chainstay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

tinozee wrote:I have zero interest in Trek. The TT bike was cool speed concept, but overall I agree - ford of bikes. And they remind me of the Lance era and all the robotic boy scout types in US racing back then. Plus Bontrager Ew.

Nothing against anyone who rides one or loves Trek! I'm sure they ride great, it's just a brand thing for me. I would ride one with joy if it was the only one around.

I agree.

Also I its important to me to ride a bike from builders whose attitude and ethic I admire - certainly don't admire Trek for its behaviour in the Lance era RE Lemond and Klein. Lost me forever there no matter how good their bikes get.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Weren't there also a bunch of people who had warranty claims denied because they weren't using OEM parts? If they switched out a bontrager stem Trek claimed that was why the steerer tube failed (and the like). I thought I remembered reading about (more than a few) issues like that.
Speedplay is the devil!

amey

by amey

I have nothing but praise for Trek custom service (UK).

wojchiech

by wojchiech

mdeth, I believe that was before everyone realized broken steerer tubes were because of inadequate steerer/stem clamp coverage, ie not enough steerer tube being clamped leading to fork material failure. Of course if you used a bontrager stem those failures would have happened regardless, so that was just them covering their behinds. Now it's just a 5mm spacer required below and above the stem to ensure the steerer is sufficiently secured.

One of the main reasons I went with Trek for my road bike was customer service and lifetime frame warranty. I've experienced a couple smaller component failures and was able to get replacement parts right away. If something ever happens to my frame I have peace of mind that it won't be the end of the world. I've come to terms that my bike doesn't have the bling appeal of a diamond encrusted Cipo, but then again that wasn't the deciding factor for me.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Devon wrote:So what does that make Specialized? :lol:

Toyota Camry! - S-Works is a Toyota Camry with a spoiler on the back and a REALLY BIG Toyota logo on the bonnet
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com