Reckless & Careless Giant Bicycles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xena
Banned

by xena

mimason wrote:Disclaimer: I did not read any replies to the OP.

The issue is not Giant's but the hit and run person. You should pursue this by reporting to the police and at a minumum getting a report for insurance purposes. You may be able to file a claim under your home owners or auto policy (not sure exactly) if you cannot get the driver to pay for the damages.

Other than that you are completely off base in your logic. Shit happens.

The other day a deer ran into the side of my car and scratched the paint a little and created a small dent. Does VW need to pay for this or give me a discount on repairs? No!

Yeah but if you had to send your car back by post and they wanted to charge you $5000 for postage you would not be happy would you?

good try
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ridebikereadbook

by ridebikereadbook

Last edited by ridebikereadbook on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:I have not insulted no one. I have just stated my view to the words expressed. I don't think in anyway I have shown" double standard"

Your view is insulting. No matter how justified you believe it is, an insult is still an insult. As to the double standard, you have just illustrated it. You judged one poster on the words expressed but claimed you couldn't judge another poster on his words without knowing him personally.

"I agree that Giant may not be responsible for the damage done but that does not mean they could not afford to be generous in getting one of their own frames repaired" Giant aren't in the business of carbon repair. I doubt they have any procedure for that, and I doubt any sizeable bike company would ever repair a frame for a customer for any reason, much less one that had been crashed! It would be a question of giving him a new frame or not. And again, it's not their fault that it broke and they state upfront they have no crash replacement policy.

"These big companies make it difficult as possible. They ideally want you to just go away and buy a new frame. They set policy's of minimum liability." This has nothing to do with the OPs situation. It's a seperate discussion. The OP crashed and broke his bike. Unless it was Giant who opened the car door into him then Giant have no liability whatsoever.

But on that subject, with a few exceptions I've found that the big companies are usually very quick to provide replacements when there are genuine production faults. I couldn't say whether the same applies to Giant at this level and do you know why? I've never seen a construction fault on a Giant carbon frame. Ever. They've generally been pretty quick to sort out any issues (frame, fork or parts) on their lower level stuff though.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:Giant do have a obligation for good customer service .
Stop defending a company who make billions.

Good customer service doesn't mean giving people free stuff because they crashed and broke something you made. That's called PR. Why are you so intent on defending a guy throwing a temper tantrum?

mimason

by mimason

xena wrote:
mimason wrote:Disclaimer: I did not read any replies to the OP.

The issue is not Giant's but the hit and run person. You should pursue this by reporting to the police and at a minumum getting a report for insurance purposes. You may be able to file a claim under your home owners or auto policy (not sure exactly) if you cannot get the driver to pay for the damages.

Other than that you are completely off base in your logic. Shit happens.

The other day a deer ran into the side of my car and scratched the paint a little and created a small dent. Does VW need to pay for this or give me a discount on repairs? No!

Yeah but if you had to send your car back by post and they wanted to charge you $5000 for postage you would not be happy would you?

good try

Seriously? The repair would be done locally because it is my responsibility. So in this instance have the frame repaired locally or take whatever the insurer pays and decide from there.

ridebikereadbook

by ridebikereadbook

Last edited by ridebikereadbook on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ridebikereadbook

by ridebikereadbook

ridebikereadbook

by ridebikereadbook

wingguy

by wingguy

ridebikereadbook wrote:Who said that I want a new frame for free? I asked for care, I asked for brave to get back the frame for investigation about producing details.

You stated that you and your shop first asked about warranty and then about crash replacement. That's asking for something free, then asking for something heavily discounted.

Now, what did you think was going to happen when the frame was sent back to Giant? Even if there was something wrong with it you'd already crashed and broken it! What were you hoping the outcome would be? Especially after you'd had it repaired - do you honestly think in your wildest dreams that Giant or any other bike manufacturer would certify a frame as safe that had been crashed and repaired by a third party? Never, ever going to happen. So what did you want from them?

If you say it's for the protection of other consumers then I can assure you with no bias (I've never owned a high end Giant nor do I have any desire to buy any of their current models) that Giant have the best high end quality control of any company I've dealt with. I don't believe there are any Pro-Tour level bikes out there which are less likely to fail 'JRA'.

ridebikereadbook

by ridebikereadbook

wingguy

by wingguy

Nothing about warranty, nothing about crash repair or something.

You do know that your previous posts are still there, right? "After a little crash the frame became useless and the shop in Turkey has sent its photos to Giant for warranty. They replied back by saying that is a user mistake bla bla."

"I'm very upset that Giant didn't have any crash replacement program or something. Giant Taiwan was very reckless about the situation. I mean they didn't serve any solution or something."

But again, when you tried to get it sent back to Giant, before and after it was repaired, what was it you hoped they would do? What outcome were you looking for?

Grill

by Grill

Actually it's standard practice for the individual to pay for shipping in warranty cases. Exceptions are usually made if there's an obvious defect (a giant hole in your bike due to being by a car does not meet this criteria). As you're responsible for the shipping, you can find quotes a hell of a lot cheaper than $700. The fact that your LBS did not inform you of any of this shows that you're on an equal footing of ineptitude.

mattr

by mattr

The way this dullard is going on here i suspect he pissed Giant, or their Turkish representative, off badly enough that any remote chance of a good will gesture would have evaporated like thin spit on a hot stove.

BRM

by BRM

When you really think there is something wrong with the frame by wrong manufacturing, you lay it by the wrong party.

A manufacturer that give warranty comes just with a limited responsibility for the manufacturer.
You have a legal contract with the shop where you bought. A shop has much more and more far going obligations to you than the manufacturer. You have not to deal with the manufacturer but mainly with the shop owner. He has the obligation by law to sell you a product that is free of flaws or shortcommings.

At least this is so in whole Europe. So check the consumer rules and laws in your country, and or contact a consumer organisation for advise. When there is something wrong with your product: The first 6 months the burden of proof lays at the side of the shop/manufacturer. After 6 months it lays with you.

But all this is quite senseless because you cant blame the shop for the damage.
That there is something wrong with the production of this frame is quite small.
When they used less poxy on that spot it probably is per design.
That there would be no damage when they used more epoxy is very hard to believe.

You just had bad luck.
When you buy a product you need to be aware of what is covered in case of problems. When they dont have a crash replacement option and you are focussed on that, you could have simple insuranced your bike.

So please stop your rant to Giant because it all is not their fault. That they dont want to cooperate on a senseless case is good understandable.
Last edited by BRM on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Dang people, I check back a few hours later for comic relief and and the thread is 9 pages long!?
Trying to argue over the reality of the situation with the OP here is a lot like wrestling in the mud with a pig.
After a couple of hours you realize the pig likes it.