Reckless & Careless Giant Bicycles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highdraw

by highdraw

I am sorry to hear you have lost your sisters. You have been thru a lot and living in that part of the world gives you a different perspective about life no question.

Reason why there is no hope for humanity btw is because biology trumps knowledge. This is history's lesson. Mankind does not learn from past mistakes but destined to repeat them. Men are hard wired to war and conquer. Problem is...the stakes are much higher now because of tech, nuclear and biological warfare. It is going to get much worse as radicals obtain nuclear capability which make no mistake is inevitable. And a step further...super computers and robots will completely change the landscape 50 years from now...will even start to emerge in 20 years.

So ride our bikes while we can.
Next time buy a bike with a lifetime warranty and a crash protection policy. Or go cheap off ebay and f any warranty consideration.
Good luck.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

What I understand is that you wanted your locally repaired frame painted by Giant, but didn't want to pay the shipment back and forth... I guess if Giant has any reason to suspect that there is a problem with the top tubes of some particular model, I think they have enough samples to investigate it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:I have not insulted no one. I have just stated my view to the words expressed. I don't think in anyway I have shown" double standard"

Your view is insulting. No matter how justified you believe it is, an insult is still an insult. As to the double standard, you have just illustrated it. You judged one poster on the words expressed but claimed you couldn't judge another poster on his words without knowing him personally.

"I agree that Giant may not be responsible for the damage done but that does not mean they could not afford to be generous in getting one of their own frames repaired" Giant aren't in the business of carbon repair. I doubt they have any procedure for that, and I doubt any sizeable bike company would ever repair a frame for a customer for any reason, much less one that had been crashed! It would be a question of giving him a new frame or not. And again, it's not their fault that it broke and they state upfront they have no crash replacement policy.

"These big companies make it difficult as possible. They ideally want you to just go away and buy a new frame. They set policy's of minimum liability." This has nothing to do with the OPs situation. It's a seperate discussion. The OP crashed and broke his bike. Unless it was Giant who opened the car door into him then Giant have no liability whatsoever.

But on that subject, with a few exceptions I've found that the big companies are usually very quick to provide replacements when there are genuine production faults. I couldn't say whether the same applies to Giant at this level and do you know why? I've never seen a construction fault on a Giant carbon frame. Ever. They've generally been pretty quick to sort out any issues (frame, fork or parts) on their lower level stuff though.

I have not insulted you in any way . I have just gave my opinion which differs from yours.
I have stated my positon quite clearly.
I have enjoyed the fact the poster smashed his bike up. I feel that frustration. I can relate to that and wish I could afford to do that.
Tell me what companies provide a great replacement frame/bike service, because there have been no end of threads complaining about the very poor service. Big companies who make millions do the very minimum to repair or replace your frame /part etc. I know this from experience myself and my friends experiences. They string things along and hope you will go away. My friend had a brand new record mech snap in half , went into his wheel and damaged his frame. Campy admitted the mech was at fault but it took nearly 6 months to sort out. In the meantime he was not offered a temporary replacement. He had to pay for another mech so he could keep riding. They replaced his mech free of charge but did not take any responsibility for his wheel or frame. it cost him the price of a new mech [campy :lol: ] and the hassle of chasing it up. Now if you want that kind of service carry on defending these corps. I'm not going to.

Please don't start a debate about his derauller adjustment etc . He's a pro mechanic of 20 years and has been setting up 11 speed record since day 1.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:I have not insulted you in any way .

I didn't say you insulted me. Could you at least try and reply to the conversation that's happening on the page?

"Campy admitted the mech was at fault but it took nearly 6 months to sort out... Now if you want that kind of service carry on defending these corps."

Carry on? I'm not defending that type of action. I never have been. No-one in this thread is. The OPs problem has nothing to do with quality control. Nothing to do with warranty support. Nothing to do with service. Nothing to do with Giant. The problem is between him and the person who doored him.

He's not a crusader for consumer rights, he's a guy throwing his toys out of the pram because the world didn't revolve around him for once.

otoman

by otoman

There must be some Nazi's over there at ol' Giant bicycle.

I can't believe it took 10 pages for Godwin's law to come into play! :lol: :lol:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Antoine

by Antoine

ridebikereadbook wrote:After a little crash (a rude driver opened his door onto my bike while I was only standing next to the car and the frame got cracked and then he immediately drove away. In Turkey, it's easy to run from everything like that since we are 3rd world country)

Why didn't you focus on the driver instead of blaming Giant ?

Been doored while riding can happen but while standing ?
I've never heard of that before and you seem to accept it because Turkey is a 3 world country you say ?

If a driver runs over you, will you blame your helmet for not being strong enough and claim a warranty ?

Every time I hear about Turkey and Turkish people it's bad (turkish guy stabing his sister in France or Germany because she didn't dress "properly" , turkish rider doped, Turkey helping terrorists, ... )

so it's just a frame after all and at least you had fun with it

ridebikereadbook

by ridebikereadbook

Last edited by ridebikereadbook on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

crankinstein

by crankinstein

Buys bike. Crashes bike. Some fictional warranty is declined. Pays to have bike repaired. Cant find a place to paint the repaired bike. He's so rich that he took great pleasure in destroying the repaired bike, but not so rich that paying for shipping is the reason for destroying the bike.

You, sir, should wear a helmet at all times. Though I suspect that would add further difficulty when trying to dislodge your head from your own posterior.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

xena
Banned

by xena

Ok wingg
wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:I have not insulted you in any way .

I didn't say you insulted me. Could you at least try and reply to the conversation that's happening on the page?

"Campy admitted the mech was at fault but it took nearly 6 months to sort out... Now if you want that kind of service carry on defending these corps."

Carry on? I'm not defending that type of action. I never have been. No-one in this thread is. The OPs problem has nothing to do with quality control. Nothing to do with warranty support. Nothing to do with service. Nothing to do with Giant. The problem is between him and the person who doored him.

He's not a crusader for consumer rights, he's a guy throwing his toys out of the pram because the world didn't revolve around him for once.

You did say my" view was insulting". I don't see how a difference of opinion is insulting. Can you tell me how my view is Insulting? I can learn and grow as a better person and stay on the " same page" as you :roll: But that's not a cheap/ snide remark is it?

If I had to pay $700 to send a bike back for repair, warranty or not, I would be pi%%ed even if I was rich. Its principle and these big manufacturers squeeze for every penny they can even though they make huge profits.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:You did say my" view was insulting". I don't see how a difference of opinion is insulting. Can you tell me how my view is Insulting?

Do you really need it to be explained to you how this "How sad must your life be to get that upset" is insulting? Do you genuinely not get it? It doesn't matter whether it's your honest view of the guy based on his posts (which, again, is where your double standard comes in since you said you couldn't judge the other guy on posts alone) it's still an insult.

If I had to pay $700 to send a bike back for repair, warranty or not, I would be pi%%ed even if I was rich.

First, he wasn't sending it back for repair. Repair is not something that Giant do, or that he was asking them to do. I'm not sure where you've got that from but it's not part of the scenario. Second, there's no reason for him to send it back to Giant that exists outside his own over the top expectation of stuff he should get for free. Third, even if that is the price that was quoted by Giant (which I highly doubt is the whole story given the inconsistencies of the rest of his account) I'm sure that he, or you if you were in that situation, could quite easily find a far cheaper way of sending it back with another courier.

sjc166

by sjc166

Can't believe I wasted 15 minutes reading through this dribble.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy "If I had to pay $700 to send a bike back for repair, warranty or not, I would be pi%%ed even if I was rich"

That is a factual statement I said. I know full well why he wanted to send it back. That is a general comment you have taken out of context in relation to the OP. Its a generic statement.

Well the poster did get very upset and used the C word. IMO I think its a bit sad to get that upset i.e. using the C word.
Maybe sad was the wrong word ,maybe anger would have been better. But whatever word you choose it was not an insult just a view on based on the post.
How would you describe people getting so worked up over a car door hit. Its not there issue. How can you get that angry about it, Who died? did I miss something?

I appreciate your views. But you have the last word, I'm cool with that. :thumbup: and we move on :beerchug:

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

ok my dear ex-Giant owner Turkish friend. I also live in Turkey and got a giant propel advanced like once you did. I am not able to bought my bike directly from Turkey but bought it from Taiwan. Because it was not yet release in Turkey in July. I know there can such troubles in warranty conditions not only for bikes but for everything. I wonder which company you directly get in contact in Turkey for warranty? and why don't you trust their opinion about "its not a manufacturing failure"

Because one way or an other, every company trust their distributer. so are you now insulting Giant? or Giant Turkey? or your frame? or the driver? the handyman that made repair? or yourself?

Dilberto88

by Dilberto88

ridebikereadbook wrote:
wingguy wrote:
ridebikereadbook wrote:There is a possibility of production mistake for the frame and Giant asked me to pay the shipping fee which is very funny. What if that mistake would cost me a huge crash or something while I'm riding down with huge speed? They didn't accept that mistaken production possibility even without checking it.

Which brings us to C) that doesn't add up either.

Why did you ask them to send it back to Taiwan? Standard procedure would be for the frame to go to the national distributor. I would be amazed if Giant HQ in Taiwan would even contemplate receiving a frame back directly from a shop.

The shop that I bought the frame from is the official national distributor of Giant.

Giant weaves and lays-up all their carbon in-house....just like TIME does. Giant is not obligated to review their frame after being repaired. End of story.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

I think that Turkey shouldn't have shot down that Su-24 anyway.