Has anyone broken a 2015 Super Record rear derailleur yet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BlackMadone wrote:@Graeme- Do you know a reason why a 2015 rear mech can shift snappy and quick threw the entire cassette but has a problem shifting into the final smallest sprocket and only on the 53T chainring? I'm running a 53/34 and on the 34-it goes in fine but it sits toward the inside of the chain and is not centered on the sprocket.

Perhaps chain tension is having an effect due to the out of spec gap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pottsy

by Pottsy

@Skidmark

Are you sure you didn't just have the cables twisted in the down tube & by not going Cali cross you avoided them wrapping around each other.

skidmark

by skidmark

Pottsy wrote:@Skidmark

Are you sure you didn't just have the cables twisted in the down tube & by not going Cali cross you avoided them wrapping around each other.

They definitely weren't twisted, but they may have been rubbing against each other slightly.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

sugarkane wrote:I have had to replace 2 chorus 2015 units that were brand new because there was too much twist in the alloy jockey cage and the lower jockey wheels not tracking well.. Both were replaced by the distro no issues.

This is interesting. I seems to have the same problem. I had troubles with shifting before, but I thought the poor internal routing on Venge is the issue. I am not able to find the sweetpot in cable tension and the RD hesitate around 5 or 6th sprocket. Anytime I found the correct tension for half a cassette the shifting on other half is poor. Shifting from small ring to big ring makes it little it better.

I have tried 3 frame, both normal cable routing and california cross, checked the RD hanger alignment on all the frames, got 3 sets of originals Campagnolo cables. It didn't get better. RD hesitates when downshifting and the noise on the lower sprockets is much bigger than on the upper sprockets. The RD cage looks bend and point to the wheel slightly. Never crashed. Should I ask for replacement?

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I wanted to ruled out everything before I start pointing fingers, but the Campagnolo 1kg friction test was positive (RD had enough power to get back to the lowest sprocket) so it isn't a problem with friction at all. Also I tried to check the hanger again, no issues there cos it is straight as RD hanger could be. Shorten the chain to correct length by Campagnolo specification, but that didn't help either.

On a small chainring I am able to shift just fine, but on the big one no way. It is noisy and it hesitates when downshifting. What I have discovered is when I set the correct cable tension to have jockey aligned with 7th sprocket the alignment of the upper sprockets is off. Which would suggest a bend RD hanger, but this isn't the case... When I actually put a pressure on RD to move it closer to the sprockets the alignment if fine.

Anyone knows if my RD is broken?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

In checking the hanger, did you check both vertical and horizontal alignment? With what tool?

Has the "H" screw been adjusted? Is clearance to the upper jockey correct?

When you say "downshifting" do you mean shifting to a smaller sprocket?

Hard to diagnose remotely. It's a puzzle why shifting would be fine in small ring and not in the big, if it's not some kind of alignment problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I have checked both horizontal and vertical aligment. The tool is SuperB hanger aligment tool - nothing fancy but it does the job. Either way I doubt I got all three frames with the same RD hanger bend.

Yes, when saying downshifting I mean shifting to a smaller sprocket. The H screw has been adjusted, but no visible change in shifting. The shifting is also different when riding and in the work stand. Anytime when I tighten the rear quick release the rd cage move closer to the wheel. Is it normal?

It is driving me crazy. I wish I had the possibility to try different RD and see what difference it makes.

AJS914

by AJS914

I just went through the exact same set of symptoms. I fixed it with a new cable set and new bars. It's hard to believe that it was the bars that fixed it but the issues plagued me on two bikes with the same bars installed.

What I think really did it was was the new cable set and being really careful not to kink the cables and keep them perfectly straight during installation.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@GorrGrimWolf: you say you've tried it on three frames with the same result? What frames are those? Is it a complete Campy group? It's not a disc braked frame is it, with 135mm spacing? It does sound like some cable friction somewhere to be honest but I have run across a couple derailleurs with pulley cages, that when replaced, everything was fine. Also, if it behaves differently on the road than in the stand, might there be some excessive flex in the frame or stays? I don't know. But it's Christmas, and you're bike should work.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

@AJS914: I thought the same. The new set of cables would fix it. The thing is it didnt. Have third set of Campagnolo cables. No difference.

@Calnago: I have tried it on S-Works Allez, Specialized Venge and Emonda SL. Same results. It is a complete Campy Chorus 2015 groupset. All frames were for rim brakes, so no 135mm spacing. I thought it was the cable friction too, but the 1kg cable test was positive and one frames was externaly routed and had the same issues. Usually I am able to recognize cable friction and I would be this isn't the case. I would ruled out the frame issue too since I have changed three of them with the same results. I guess I will try different cassette and see. It would be easier to get it than 2015 mech.

PS: You saying you have run across RD which were faulty as well and the cage replacement has sorted?

fogman

by fogman

@AJS914. What bars did you replace and what do you use now? I have heard that certain bars are better to route Campy derailleur cables than others.

My mechanic keeps telling me that the Deda and Zipp bars are better for Campy cable routing than the 3T Ergonova, but I like the feel of the 3T Ergonova better.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

AJS914

by AJS914

I had some Reynolds Anatomic Pro bars. They did not internally route so it's hard to believe that they were the problem. Now I have Ergonova bars. (And they were a PITA to internally route but shifting is good now.)

I believe my issue was that when installing new cables I ended up with a small kink near the lever. The right way is to put the kink at the end that will be cut off. Like:
[img]
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/i ... 60-540.jpg[/img]

I found that Bike Radar howto to be helpful:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl ... ers-24781/

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I have always gently guided the cable insertion along the open portion of plastic channel with a flat blade screw driver, thereby eliminating the kink.