USE Alien Carbon - latest version

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

The only previous post I can find about this post was in 2004. It's changed a bit since then.

Has anyone used the latest version? It's a decent weight and has the setback I require, but the older reviews are touch and go.

I'm considering it because it's half price today, and a killer deal (£45 for my size)

http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.co ... ien-carbon

Is it still a pain to adjust?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Qman

by Qman

I've used two of these posts, an older two bolt ti and a newer single bolt carbon. The older two bolt version is harder to adjust but I've found that once tightened it's quiet and stays in place. The newer single bolt version doesn't seem to stay tight for me. Unless it's really tight, it will make creaking sounds at the rails, and it loosens off a little over time. I also have found that it bends the seat rails a little bit due to the design of the clamping mechanism.

If you have a carbon railed saddle then you need to purchase a different clamp kit.

On the plus side, they are light and strong and relatively inexpensive. My 31.6 x 270 is 157g.

Qman

by Qman

I've recently purchased a Ritchey Superlogic Carbon Link Flexlogic. It has the same setback as the Alien, similar weight, and it seems to have a better seat clamp. Unfortunately it is also much more expensive. There aren't a lot of seat posts available with 15mm of setback.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I've used two of the Aliens and never experienced slipping, plus adjustment was a breeze.

mythical

by mythical

I had one of the original USE Alien Carbon seatposts for many years. A few saddle rails bent by sufficiently tightening my USE Alien post (first the 2-bolt version, then the single-bolt Cyclops clamps) not to make my saddle rails slip. My issue with the alternating clamps is that they don't actually clamp the rails on two opposing sides at the same time. Other than bent rails, which wasn't really a big deal in the end, I never experienced any problems after making tightening the bolts enough to keep the saddle in place. Would not buy again, though, especially with contemporary seatpost offerings.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Devon

by Devon

Any mention of slipping is an instant turn off for me. I've ridden posts I got out of bins or cheap unbranded ebay models and never had an issue. How a post could slip is beyond me. This must be a pretty awful piece of kit!

Qman

by Qman

Mine has never slipped. You can back the tension right off the bolt and it won't move until you tap it with a hammer. It just loosens enough to start to creak at the rails. Then I tighten it a little and it's ok for a while. My older two bolt one is always tight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

outnumbered

by outnumbered

I always found the single bolt version very very hard to adjust accurately. That's why mine is sitting on a shelf in the garage now.