Giant TCR alu bearing races in bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jorisee01

by jorisee01

It's completely separated from the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

jorisee01 wrote:
hornedfrog wrote:Shouldn't be a hard or expensive part for a local machinist to make.

I plan to do that but would rather buy one somewhere. Also because we do not know he exact measures.

I'm also going to order the wheelsmfg threaded bb. Thanks for pointing that out!

No brother. Word to the wise...you are barking up the wrong tree. I told you what to do. You will flounder making a replacement bearing cup. Take the frame to your local Giant dealer and contact Giant to see what they would charge to either repair it or replace the frame with some remittance. Other option is a company like Calfee. Don't try to fix it yourself...or you will struggle with both sizing of the cup...potentially even matching the right alloy...and bonding the cup to carbon. Leave it to the factory or an expert like Calfee.

highdraw

by highdraw

Valbrona wrote:Unfortunately, it might be a ruined frame.

One wonders how it got damaged like that. Possibly with adhesive.

Perhaps there is a case for fitting a new PF86 BB with the damaged sleeve still in place.

No. It isn't a ruined frame by a long shot. It is an unride-able broken frame that can be repaired and the best place to start is Giant. Second place to get it fixed is Calfee.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

highdraw wrote:
jorisee01 wrote:
hornedfrog wrote:Shouldn't be a hard or expensive part for a local machinist to make.

I plan to do that but would rather buy one somewhere. Also because we do not know he exact measures.

I'm also going to order the wheelsmfg threaded bb. Thanks for pointing that out!

No brother. Word to the wise...you are barking up the wrong tree. I told you what to do. You will flounder making a replacement bearing cup. Take the frame to your local Giant dealer and contact Giant to see what they would charge to either repair it or replace the frame with some remittance. Other option is a company like Calfee. Don't try to fix it yourself...or you will struggle with both sizing of the cup...potentially even matching the right alloy...and bonding the cup to carbon. Leave it to the factory or an expert like Calfee.

Do you know my local Giant dealer? Of you knew you wouldn't advies me to consult them. And re sending it to Calfee - I'm in europe. Shipping a frame (worth 500 euro if fixed) to the US and let them fix it is, I think a strange advise. I've bought the frame to see if I can fix it, if I can't I'll bin it.

And below a quote from Calfees own FAQ:

What do you not repair?

Frequently rejected repairs include: aluminum-to-carbon bonding, carbon handlebars, forks, seat posts/integrated seat posts, stems, damage to carbon wheels, and metal frames.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

If that's the state of play, and you're prepared to bin it, you might as well try anything. If Giant won't fix it, and warranty can be a bit of a pain if you're not the original owner, I'd be tempted to source the cup ( via Giant) and epoxy it in. A threaded BB like the Workswell should take care of the alignment issues that will arise.

Other options don't really spring to mind. A decent carbon repair shop might be able to put in a new shell of some type, buy how economically viable that would be I have no idea. Could the shell survive reaming out to accommodate bb30 or PF30 bearings, and a bb386 chainset? Seems unlikely, but you're probably into bodging territory at this point.

highdraw

by highdraw

jorisee01 wrote:
highdraw wrote:
jorisee01 wrote:

Do you know my local Giant dealer? Of you knew you wouldn't advies me to consult them. And re sending it to Calfee - I'm in europe. Shipping a frame (worth 500 euro if fixed) to the US and let them fix it is, I think a strange advise. I've bought the frame to see if I can fix it, if I can't I'll bin it.

And below a quote from Calfees own FAQ:

What do you not repair?

Frequently rejected repairs include: aluminum-to-carbon bonding, carbon handlebars, forks, seat posts/integrated seat posts, stems, damage to carbon wheels, and metal frames.

Didn't know you were in Europe. No decent Giant dealers in Europe? Really? They could even send your shop a replacement cup without sending off the frame. Then as suggested, epoxy it in place. Should be good. No good custom frame builders in Europe? There has to be a Calfee equivalent in Europe.
All I am saying is at the very least...get the OEM cup from Giant. Ask/beg them to ship one to you so either you or a frame builder/repair shop can install it with hopefully good alignment.

You put yourself in greater jeopardy of a viable repair by trying to machine a thin wall alloy replacement cup. At the very least, get a replacement cup from Giant and epoxy it in place.
Good luck and keep us posted what you decide.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I'm for sure going to ask them for a replacement cup. That's the easiest way to source one. I just don't think it's going to happen.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

We managed to machine a couple of cups. Now I'm going to glue them in with epoxy.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Cup fits nicely around the wheels mfg bb.Image

Lightly sanded the frames bottom bracket.

I've used epoxy to glue the cup in the frame. Immediately before the glue hardens i've installed the wheels mfg bottom bracket. Feels really solid!

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Et voila!