Best cassette for use on campagnolo 11 speed (Shim or SRAM)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

Biggest laugh of my evening here . . :lol:
You have Campa EPS and Bora wheels and then you start fiddling with cheap cassettes?

Why not just buy a Campa body and Campa cassette.

fogman

by fogman

Get the Campy freehub. It is also lighter than the Shimano freehub.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

sram is awesome. xg-1190 here on a shimano lightweight wheel with campag group. brilliant.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

So I got educated that indeed other brands fit.... somehow I would have a bad feeling making my group mixed up....
No argument, just me....

I now compromised for the 1st time... On my MTB, I fitted a 1070 SRAM instead of the XX cassette... 400 euro for a cassette that will get burned in the mud in 1500-2000km is too much....
The weight compromise is ok for me... a bit more mud and we are equal...

Maybe I have to get over it as well on the SR cassettes on my roadies.....
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

fogman

by fogman

I use Chorus cassettes with my otherwise SR groupset.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

I also have a chorus cassette on my Tacx NEO.... works 100% (of course) and no sense to fit a SR cassette on a tacx....
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

Birdman

by Birdman

I've been running Campagnolo Super Record mechanical shifters, Athena front/rear derailleurs on my Domane, and I've used the following cassettes and cranks without issues:

Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11 (conversion cassette for Shimano 10 speed hub to Campy 11)
105/Ultegra 11-28
SRAM 1170 11-28
Ultegra 6750 50/34
Ultegra 6800 50/34

I just got an Athena EPS upgrade kit with V2 battery, was going to put it on my Domane 6.2 but the V2 battery doesn't fit, anywhere... :( ... Will need a V1 kit for me to move forward on this upgrade.

I talked to a few shops around me about installing the EPS for me, and one of the shop told me to use ONLY CAMPY cassette for EPS. I was very surprised to hear this, but the mechanic on the phone sounded very convincing. He also said my Ultegra 6800 compact crank will work just fine for EPS though, he didn't say it will work perfect, but he said the Ultegra crank will work.

When I challenged his "Campy cassette only" comment, he said the Campy spacing differ from Shimano very little, but it differ just enough to throw off EPS system. If the EPS aligns with the smallest Shimano cog, and the spacing differences will cause problems as the system moves through to the larger cogs.

Keep in mind, this isn't my first hand experience, I would put more weight on the others WeightWeenies success stories than my second hand information.

However, the shop guy had me convinced a little, and since my wife won't divorce me over a new freehub body and a cassette so I'm going to try Chorus cassette and compare it side by side with my Ultegra and see if there are any differences that's at all noticeable.

Honestly, Shimano cassettes work so well on the Campy mechanical group, I really have no reasons to believe they won't work for EPS. It is always my believe that electronic groups could be more tolerant to spacing tolerance variations compare to mechanical groups since they slightly over shift on each cog. Am I wrong?
Last edited by Birdman on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Yes, Chorus is great value. But this is no SRAM XX1, the Ti cogs in Record and SR cassettes are not the common 6Al4V material, they are heat treated in a very particular way. I have measured up to 35HRC in them.
Last edited by XCProMD on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

About EPS, it will work with Shimano/SRAM cassettes but in my experience the offset in spacing makes for a loss in positiviness compared to Campag cassettes. Anyway EPS is so incredibly brilliant when everything is Campag that even with "intruder" cassettes the shifting quality is really good.

Birdman

by Birdman

XCProMD wrote:About EPS, it will work with Shimano/SRAM cassettes but in my experience the offset in spacing makes for a loss in positiviness compared to Campag cassettes. Anyway EPS is so incredibly brilliant when everything is Campag that even with "intruder" cassettes the shifting quality is really good.

Hi XCProMD, Will my mechanical shifting benefit from a Chorus cassette? Or should I say... Will the improvement be noticeable in real world riding?
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Delorre

by Delorre

Edco monoblock maybe?

gwilliams

by gwilliams

There is an article within the Velo news web site in which the cross compatibility of Campagnolo, SRAM and Shimano is tested-the outcome, was no problem. A question search on Velo news normally brings up at least one article that confirms this

rideintospace

by rideintospace

You are on an 11s setup, so any brand 11s cassette will work. The spacing is near identical between 11s groups. I use a SRAM xg-1190 11-28 on my cross bike, a SR 11-29 on my road bike, and a shimano ultegra 11-25 on my rain/commuter bike. Shifting is crisp on all cassettes. Get the SRAM Red

Delorre

by Delorre

rideintospace wrote:You are on an 11s setup, so any brand 11s cassette will work. The spacing is near identical between 11s groups. I use a SRAM xg-1190 11-28 on my cross bike, a SR 11-29 on my road bike, and a shimano ultegra 11-25 on my rain/commuter bike. Shifting is crisp on all cassettes. Get the SRAM Red

all depends on the spacing he wants. If 11-xx is ok for him, why not, but he he wants something like 12-25, 12-27,...Red is not an option. The alternative is a campy body + cassette of choice or a edco monoblock ...

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Birdman wrote:
XCProMD wrote:About EPS, it will work with Shimano/SRAM cassettes but in my experience the offset in spacing makes for a loss in positiviness compared to Campag cassettes. Anyway EPS is so incredibly brilliant when everything is Campag that even with "intruder" cassettes the shifting quality is really good.

Hi XCProMD, Will my mechanical shifting benefit from a Chorus cassette? Or should I say... Will the improvement be noticeable in real world riding?

It depends on how good it is now. There are a number of things that influence mechanical shifting performance, namely dropout alignment and geometry, cable routing...

If you bike shifts already very good, changing cassettes will never be a big leap forward. If you are lacking shifting performance those few tenths of a mil in both ends will definitely help.

The case with EPS is different since the system has a resolution that no mechanical system can match.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com