Power2max BB386 EVO compatible with BSA frames ????

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

On their website, Power2 max writes their P2M Type S FSA BB386EVO is compatible with BSA frames, despite a 30mm axle..... :?
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/p ... nd-cranks/
How can that be possible without having to fit with some phony adaptor...?
GUys...your comments on this .. .?

Louis :)

LouisN

by LouisN

Ok, think I have the answer. Since it's a longer axle, you can fit an adaptor wich puts the bearings completely outside the BB shell :
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/p ... acket-bsa/

Is this system good ? Or I'm better off with the 24mm P2M version ?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shlammed

by shlammed

iirc the 386evo cranks and the 24mm standard cranksets use the same spindle length (+/- depending on manufacturer) and that the 386evo is just a 30mm diameter of the same length.

They do sell bsa bottom brackets for 386evo, and it uses an outboard bearing like the 24mm spec but with a larger bearing and spindle.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Rotor and FSA to name a but a few do external cups to use their 386evo chainsets on BSA frames.

The problems occur i think when you try to use a 24mm (HT2 version) chainset with P2M on a 386evo frame, as most of the time there's too much "meat" around the BB area.

Personally, i think 24mm version is better as it will cover 95% of applications
Official cafe stop tester

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Yes, it works. Very little clearance inside the BSA shell for the 30 mm axle but enough. I had an under BB cable guide affixed with too long a screw that had to be trimmed so it wouldn't foul the aluminum sleeve inside the shell. Other than that I works great on both BSA-equipped bikes that I have. IMO this is the most sensible of the BB standards as it provides large diameter and length to the spindle and works with almost every shell design.
Robert