KMC chain sticky crap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

just got my KMC 10 speed chain and it came in a plastic bag - OEM pack supposely. the grease used on there is sticky as hell.

do you guys degrease the crap out of it first or just mount and ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squint

by Squint

I always remove it in an ultrasonic cleaner with a heated bath of Simple Green. Frictionfacts always removes it as well and he devised a method to test the difference between lubes.

wingguy

by wingguy

I hate the grease that comes with chains. Ride it in any dirt whatsoever and it coats the whole drivetrain in sticky black gunky crap. I either degrease it fully or at least douse it in 2-in-1 aerosol oil and wipe off all the surface coating.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Agree with removing the grease that comes with chains prior to first use. I believe the purpose of the grease is to prevent surface rust from developing.

BRM

by BRM

No, degreasing a new chain is rather stupid.
You just wipe the outside off with a cloth and drive it, pussies . . . :twisted:

If that was not meant to be it would be mentioned in a user guide isn't it?

lannes

by lannes

Your supposed to keep the original chain lube on according to Shimano

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/28/cha ... h-shimano/

Devon

by Devon

I've always ridden it until it needed a regular lube, never had an issue.

Rick

by Rick

I always leave on the original grease and just wipe off the exterior with a rag lightly soaked in WD40.
I keep wiping the exterior until I feel like the chain really needs a lube, then just start using my regular lube.

I do it this way because I am lazy, and I just don't think chain lube really makes that much difference, not because I think it is "the right way".

Squint

by Squint

lannes wrote:Your supposed to keep the original chain lube on according to Shimano

And yet the only person who was able to measure differences in the efficiency of various chains and chain lubricants recommends removing it.

I find it hard to believe that a thick, sticky coating of grease is good for a chain in any situation other than a utility bike parked outside in the rain/snow all the time.

Devon

by Devon

But considering you're going to strip it and clean it within a week on the bike's first wash, does it really matter about efficiency?

BRM

by BRM

Squint wrote:
lannes wrote:Your supposed to keep the original chain lube on according to Shimano

And yet the only person who was able to measure differences in the efficiency of various chains and chain lubricants recommends removing it.

I find it hard to believe that a thick, sticky coating of grease is good for a chain in any situation other than a utility bike parked outside in the rain/snow all the time.

Efficiency related to energy / transmission of power?
Or Efficiency related to preserving the materials from degration?

The grease inside is not the same as outside i think. The outside is to protect it when laying on the shelves.

The difference in grease or oil can be measured in a lab, sure. The difference in energy involved with both, is very very minimal, its a microlevel thing. In real world conditions your legs will not notice anything. The power of your legs are a force that is so much higher that it makes the friction differences nihil and no longer measurable.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For me, it all depends on what lube I'm going to use on a regular basis as to whether or not I try to "degrease" a new chain before use. If I was going to use a product like Boeshield T9 I'd just leave the original grease on and clean and apply the T9 as necessary. But since I use Duomonde Tech, I will typically remove all the original grease I can before applying Duomonde. I like this stuff because it really does do a good job of dampening the noise once 2 or 3 applications have had a chance to "bond" to the metal parts. And to properly adhere it's best if the metal is grease free. This stuff is particularly good in wet weather as well and takes quite a bit to wash off. And once I start using it I never "degrease" it completely during cleaning. Just clean with a Park Chain cleaner using soapy water (Dawn Dishwashing liquid) and maybe a brush and try to get all manner of gritty contaminants out. Then just rinse with a hose a water. It will still feel very waxy after all this but makes for a pretty silent drive train.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Calnago wrote:But since I use Duomonde Tech, I will typically remove all the original grease I can before applying Duomonde...

Do you use Dumonde Tech Original, or Lite?

Squint

by Squint

BRM wrote:Efficiency related to energy / transmission of power?

https://www.friction-facts.com/

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I tend not to degrease anymore but instead wipe it down obsessively in the first few weeks using finish line one-step or wd40 and start lubing as usual (progold for me) after the first few rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com