1x11 for road/circuit racing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller

by Miller

Just for interest, what are the off-the-shelf options for a 1x10 or 1x11 chainset or chainring? Thinking of something with the hi-lo teeth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

CX1 basically
Using Tapatalk

BmanX

by BmanX

Miller wrote:Just for interest, what are the off-the-shelf options for a 1x10 or 1x11 chainset or chainring? Thinking of something with the hi-lo teeth.

There are so many options available online that you do not need off the shelf option that limit you to CX1. If you have the parts already you do not need a clutch rear derailleur and you can pick up a new front chain ring with hi-lo teeth in many locations. I can go down to my local shops and get rings no issue and convert for a very low cost.
Last edited by BmanX on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I don´t think you need clutch rear der for road racing.
I even have a friend, who rides 39T front and something like Shima 105 rear der and no probs.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Scott!

by Scott!

I ran a 50t Wolftooth up front with a CX1 clutch derailleur in the back. No dropped chains all season even on one very bumpy crit course up in Wisconsin. I have heard that a clutch derailleur is not necessary for the road. I did see someone at one crit race with a 1X and an Ultegra rear derailleur, but couldn't find him after the race to see how he liked it.

Devon

by Devon

Nefarious86 wrote:CX1 basically

Umm... Road bikes... Rival 1 or Force 1

Marin

by Marin

Tons of options now, Garbaruk, Absolute Black, Raceface, etc

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Devon wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:CX1 basically

Umm... Road bikes... Rival 1 or Force 1

Same same lol just a different sticker ;)
Using Tapatalk

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

kimnamyoon wrote:If you are going to run a 53 in the front, then no problem. If not, everyone else will have bigger gears than you, which will cripple you in a sprint finish.

You mention, that you dont se any reason not to do it. I dont se any reason to do it. Are you going to change your setup for hilly training or races afterwords? Or do you have a different bike for those occassions?

IMHO the new 1 chainring setup is purely marketing. They want to sell you some new stuff. There is absolutely no reason to do it. And the saved weight is margins....

Please go back and read my post. As someone who has actually used it for some time now, I consider it as ideal for my use. It just works perfectly. And on a winter bike, the simpler, the better.
I use a normal Shimano 105 rear deraileur with a Rotor CX1 crank and a QX1 48t ring. 11-28 cassette.

mattr

by mattr

Don't worry kimnamyoon is educationally subnormal. Just going through the forum and copy/paste other users posts so they can get their discount.

Though the original post (of multebear, on page 1) isn't really very accurate. 53x11 sprints are few and far between. Unless you think your bike should double up as a weight bench...........

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

This website you shared is the bomb. Thanks for sharing!!!

Marin wrote:If you don't have long climbs there won't be a problem going 1x.

If you know the speeds you need to reach (check Strava recordings of the crits you race) and your max cadence, just play around here: http://ritzelrechner.de/

I'm thinking about building up an allroad bike with 1x and I'll be going with a single 36 or 38 ring up front which will let me reach 45 kph, enough for medium speed group rides. Anything from 46 to 50 should work for most races, and with a wide-range cassette you can still climb.

Miller

by Miller

Ok, this is not for racing whether circuit or road but I just converted my flat-bar commuter bike to a 1x10 transmission. After 5 years the original Sram Apex 2x10 components were a bit tired so a refresh seemed both fair and fun.

New components here are a Superstar 42t narrow-wide chainring replacing the original 50-34, a Sram GX 2.1 short cage rear mech and an 11-32 cassette. The original RH Apex shifter is compatible with the new mech. First impressions, it's nice to clear out the LH shifter and front mech, and there's a bit of noise when in the 32 sprocket as the chainline is non-ideal. The gear range is fine for the use seen by this bike.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Those of you surrounded by flat terrain should consider 11-23 cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Devon

by Devon

There's an alternative to a 11-23 cassette? Rule 5 much?

Seriously though, if some of you lot are regularly riding routes that need more than a 25 out back on a standard double I'm sorely jealous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Devon wrote:There's an alternative to a 11-23 cassette? Rule 5 much?

Seriously though, if some of you lot are regularly riding routes that need more than a 25 out back on a standard double I'm sorely jealous.

some of the hills I go up are 25% 36x28 is great for that.