1x11 for road/circuit racing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deek

by deek

I think some people don't realize that others live in places that are very flat. If you never used all of the range that a traditional double provides, why wouldn't you go 1x? It's cheaper and looks cleaner. Marginally more aero. No drawbacks if you don't need the range. I have friends that will get literally zero elevation gain on a ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Yup, i did a ride from a relatives house a few years ago, 100km. Total of 40m climbing. Which was 2 motorway overpasses and the biggest hill within striking distance of the house...... (South end of Sweden)

Devon

by Devon

+1

Not all of us are lucky enough to live in the alps.

Also as this topic is about amateur road racing and crits, epic climbs aren't even in the equation.

BmanX

by BmanX

The reason for my move to 1 X 10/11 is to have a more simplistic set up and yes save weight. You are able to drop the FD, cable and housing, paddle on the shifter (when running mechanical) and depending on where you live or your style of riding you can keep a standard RD and 11/28 max cassette. This results in a nice light set up.

I can do most of my rides staying in my 50 front while running an 11/28 but at times when I hit anything over 10% I would shift down to my 36. Now with that said, I am going to be running an 11/28 with a 46t on my bike for the winter to test it out. If all goes well, which I feel it will, this will result in a nice light set up. For racing I can put on my 11/23 light cassette and again have a very light set up. If I need more then I just put on the 50t front and still lighter than my standard set up.

My cranks with my new 46t spiderless chainring is 460g without BB. So that is a 100g savings over my carbon spider with Fibre-Lyte rings. That is just on the cranks alone. It will be an interesting experiment.

Right now the build sits at 6420g but I still need to cable and install the chain.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

if i lived in florida or was only crit racing, i would consider a 53/12-26 for sure.

olebole

by olebole

Ill be using my 1x11 cx bike for the road this season. Planning to get a 52t Garbaruk oval chainring combined with a 11-30 cassette.
Its super flat around here though

mimason

by mimason

Devon wrote:+1

Not all of us are lucky enough to live in the alps.

Ha! lucky or cursed?

My strengths are in the flats and rollers. Granted I like to go visit the big climbs and am a decent climber/descender but I'll take having a 12 month cycling calendar and living in an area that exploits my strength. I do wish the 'hills' were closer though.

I am considering 1x11 for my B ride bike so appreciate all the relevant discussion here.

Multebear

by Multebear

Somehow this topic reminds me of the debate 20-30 years ago when wheel manufacturers claimed, that the brand new 32h type wheels where stiffer than 36h wheels.

Marin

by Marin

Yea, we all know 36 won :)

They probably said "stiff enough" though...

Multebear

by Multebear

32h is definitely stiff enough. But they claimed stiffer ;-)

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Well, I don't think anyone is proposing that 1x11 will remove a double chainring setup from the market. But it definately has its place. I for one is extremely satisfied with the setup I have on my winterbike. I could be tempted to do it also on my training bike, but not on my race bike, as I need the bigger gears for the sprint.

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

olebole wrote: Planning to get a 52t Garbaruk oval chainring combined with a 11-30 cassette.

Which cassette would that be?

Devon

by Devon

mimason wrote:Ha! lucky or cursed?

My strengths are in the flats and rollers. Granted I like to go visit the big climbs and am a decent climber/descender but I'll take having a 12 month cycling calendar and living in an area that exploits my strength. I do wish the 'hills' were closer though.

I am considering 1x11 for my B ride bike so appreciate all the relevant discussion here.

I have to fight to get 4 metric figures of elevation in a ride close to work/home. I've lost so much fitness since moving up the country; I miss 6km climbs and 3-4000m elevation rides...

Scott!

by Scott!

I ran 1x10 with a 50t up front and a 12-25 on my crit bike all season. It's a dedicated crit bike, I did it for the simple fact that I've never been in the little ring for a crit so why bother having one.

Last edited by Scott! on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Thats exactly my view. I've only been in the small ring in a crit once, and it was when I had been dropped and had no chance of getting back on.

Same set up with a slightly larger cassette would allow for smaller climbs too.