Higher and Higher Head Tubes On Road Bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Derf

by Derf

I get poked fun by my teammates for being a human pretzel. It's comfortable for me. I get what you're saying, xena.

At the same time, it's pretty great going for a ride with my dad, whom, no matter how we slice and dice it (and he's doing great for 58), there is no way he's going to be slammed/low/what have you. I've tried. His hips won't do it (and that's with an Adamo saddle).

ergott

by ergott

Jmdesignz2 wrote:Been noticing Higher and Higher Head Tubes On Road Bikes?

Why is this such a trend?

It makes far more sense to look at whether riders' positions on said bikes works for them or not.

If you can't find a stock bike that fits you without a crazy stem/spacer setup you aren't looking very hard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Looking at other riders on the road, many riders typically have their saddles way behind the BB centerline. That puts their junk in the way of riding with low enough handlebars, so manufacturers started making saddles with cutouts, and when that didn't work, frame designers started to increase head tube lengths to save on spacers. When that wasn't good for riders who wanted enough reach but less stack, stem manufacturers started to make a greater variety of -17º stems. :roll:

Ok, I'm just mocking here but my guess is that the actual justification probably lies somewhere in the realm of design decisions... To be honest, I don't like nor fit a frame with a head tube that's too tall, so I end up riding a smaller size frame with an unusually long stem (to compensate for something, of course). Naturally, stem is slammed. Hello ape factor +10! :mrgreen:

I just wanted to add. These bikes with taller head tubes should have longer and slammed stems, so that's why compact bars were invented! :smartass:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I am not sure if it's a trend all through! I mean there are several brands running very low and long frames (stack and reach).
Several i looked at which i had to pull away from since they would not work for me.

I also see many guys talk of head tubes, but again it all comes down to leg lengths to.

I am ok with 10mm spacer, but rather not more.

On a bike i had i was force to use 35mm which made the bike ride more twitchy.

I think the bike was a bit to short and somehow my length and position had a bad effect on the handling.

Some guy i have at work is really short and he is really funny when it comes to size of frame.

He rides very very long and tall frames, much over-sized for his length.

But he has raced a 300km race every year for 25 years so i guess he is not off when it comes to his own preference.

Looking at history of bikers, we clearly see that general ideal for a bike fit has totally changed.

Look at the length of the bikes, the reach from handlebar and the drop from saddle to bar.

This is making me wonder how a bike fit really should be interpreted?

No-one could say the very best riders in the -70's or - 80's did not understand bike fit.

But never the less, they would not be fitted like this by recent standards for bike fit.

Also, there must be more of you guys who note that your fit may actually change during the season?

Perhaps not for those who ride active all year, but for us with long off season (and who are not using our trainers as we should)

we surely notice. Clearly interesting this matter!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ergott

by ergott

wheelsONfire wrote:Looking at history of bikers, we clearly see that general ideal for a bike fit has totally changed.

Not really. The components have though. Today we have more hand positions that are similar in reach then the old bars with deep drop.

ergott

by ergott

blackfile88 wrote:less flexible.... less muscle... I think..

Care to elaborate or are you just working on your post count to sell stuff?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

while one photo doesn't really prove anything, the guy on the left never seemed to have a problem with power LOL

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Bluechip wrote:Also don't forget that head tube measurements of the past were shorter because you still had to add the headset to get the total stack. Now most frames have some sort of integrated headsets that are included in the stack measurement.

This!
Robert

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

rpenmanparker wrote:
Bluechip wrote:Also don't forget that head tube measurements of the past were shorter because you still had to add the headset to get the total stack. Now most frames have some sort of integrated headsets that are included in the stack measurement.

This!

Yes see my earlier post, on my 1990s Bianchi and Merckx frames the headset adds 45-50 mm to the stack. Allowing for this, but ignoring the differences between quill and modern stems, these two racing frames have around the same stack and reach as my Merida `endurance' frame. In the olden days of 50-75 mm saddle to handlebar drops you got low by simply bending your elbows.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Hawkwood wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

This!

Yes see my earlier post, on my 1990s Bianchi and Merckx frames the headset adds 45-50 mm to the stack. Allowing for this, but ignoring the differences between quill and modern stems, these two racing frames have around the same stack and reach as my Merida `endurance' frame. In the olden days of 50-75 mm saddle to handlebar drops you got low by simply bending your elbows.

Sometimes the wheel really does need to be reinvented. :)
Robert

tommasini

by tommasini

too crusty wrote:....maybe because only older generation who are typically less flexible can afford todays bike prices???? :smartass:

And there also are riders with a large gut..........that gets in the way of their leg motion if too bent forward...........

(I'm none of the above - I'm 56 yrs old and at 5' 11 have a 130mm drop along with 130mm stem/56cm TT/rearward slammed saddle)

fogman

by fogman

prendrefeu wrote:Also, there's an entire thread where some tunnel-minded people state a firm belief in what others should do with their choice of stack height, position, and make assumptions about other people's body proportions. One user here even goes so far as to state that a pro cyclist, who has been a member here for years before that user ever signed up, took their "advice." :roll: That people actually believe everyone's body proportions are the same is only the start of the idiocy. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136199

I have also read somewhere on this forum that some members believe that if you use more than say 1.5 cm spacers you must be on a bike frame that is too small.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Bogan

by Bogan

aidenmoon wrote:it's all up to you but they do look cooler..

Care to elaborate or are you just working on your post count to sell stuff? (Sorry to borrow this ergot)
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)