Higher and Higher Head Tubes On Road Bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Been noticing Higher and Higher Head Tubes On Road Bikes?

Why is this such a trend?

too crusty

by too crusty

....maybe because only older generation who are typically less flexible can afford todays bike prices???? :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Pros made a deep drop fashionable but it's impossible for most people to follow that fashion. I guess a taller head tube looks better than 6cm of spacers.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

In terms of physics, it is better to have the point of force (where you are exerting pressure upon the steerer, ie the stem's point of connection with the steerer), closer to the bearings that hold the steerer in place. This offers better control and less stress upon the steerer.

If one looks back on the old pictures from days of quill stems, many kept their quill stems high despite the low headtubes. Headtubes were generally kept as small as possible because it made the frame lighter (steel frames) and the quill, which was normally long anyway, could compensate. Now we're in an era of mostly carbon and aluminum in the market, and better engineering. The headtube can be taller, making the point of contact of stem to steerer closer to the bearings, giving less torque on the steerer itself - which is no longer a combo of steel quill + steel fork. Besides, a stack of spacers is not aero at all. Less torque on the steerer results in a more solid feel of steering (the steerer is under less strain, less deflection), and of course it looks cleaner.

There are hundreds of choices for frames these days, and many variations of size and fit. If your 'favourite' frame does not fit exactly how you want it, and the brand does not offer variations in their sizing (ie, Trek, Parlee, Colnago, etc:.), build yourself a bridge and get over it, find another frame, or wallow in your own moping. Your choice.

Also, there's an entire thread where some tunnel-minded people state a firm belief in what others should do with their choice of stack height, position, and make assumptions about other people's body proportions. One user here even goes so far as to state that a pro cyclist, who has been a member here for years before that user ever signed up, took their "advice." :roll: That people actually believe everyone's body proportions are the same is only the start of the idiocy. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136199
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Jmdesignz2 wrote:Been noticing Higher and Higher Head Tubes On Road Bikes?

I've been cycling since 1976 and for me the trend appears to be in the opposite direction. I find it really difficult to find a road frame that will give me a bar to saddle drop of 60 - 80 mm, the drop I've been using for almost 40 years. I currently have a Merida Ride frame with a 240 mm headtube, and have a 60mm drop on it, however removing the spacers, and flipping the stem I could get a drop of 120 and this is on an `endurance' frame! I think Tom Boonen only rides a drop of 120 or 130 mm, and he's taller, younger, fitter and more flexible than me.

BRM

by BRM

Jmdesignz2 wrote:Been noticing Higher and Higher Head Tubes On Road Bikes?

How do you come by this information?
Examples?

A] Its not true
B]The average headtube is not high enough for the average biker
Tons of pics on the internet where people show their bike proves that.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Also don't forget that head tube measurements of the past were shorter because you still had to add the headset to get the total stack. Now most frames have some sort of integrated headsets that are included in the stack measurement.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Bluechip wrote:Also don't forget that head tube measurements of the past were shorter because you still had to add the headset to get the total stack. Now most frames have some sort of integrated headsets that are included in the stack measurement.

Interesting points, here's some measurements from two steel frames in my garage:

Bianchi circa 1997

Seat tube centre to centre - 590mm
Top tube cc - 600mm
Head tube - 190mm
Head tube plus headset - 235mm

Merckx circa 1993

Seat tube cc - 590mm
Head tube cc - 585mm
Head tube - 180mm
Head tube plus headset - 230mm

The Bianchi was equipped with Chorus and I raced it. It's probably the best handling frame I've ever used, brilliant on descents. The Merckx I bought as a project, it probably best reflects classic Italian geometry. Quill stems obviously made a difference to the set up, and as you can see from above headsets added 45 to 55 mm to the mix.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

too crusty wrote:....maybe because only older generation who are typically less flexible can afford todays bike prices???? :smartass:

I wish!

F45

by F45

prendrefeu wrote:
Also, there's an entire thread where some tunnel-minded people state a firm belief in what others should do with their choice of stack height, position, and make assumptions about other people's body proportions. One user here even goes so far as to state that a pro cyclist, who has been a member here for years before that user ever signed up, took their "advice." :roll: That people actually believe everyone's body proportions are the same is only the start of the idiocy. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136199

heeheehee.

I was joking. :lol:

I used to have a quill stem with high handlebars. Then I learned to rotate my hips and relax my upper body. Of course having the body of a Greek god helps; I don't stuff my face with abandon like the average American.

xena
Banned

by xena

I Cervelo had big tubes on the RCA / California and it looks ugly completely ruined I don't care how big the frame is proportion wise it ruins the look.

ride it like Ryder if your tall Image
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

kgt

by kgt

Usually race-geometry frames have short to normal lenght headtubes while endurance-geometry frames (Trek H2, Roubaix, etc.) have tall headtubes.
Maybe its the endurance frame trend that makes you think that headtubes get taller and taller.

Keep also in mind that most riders rarely ride on the drops nowadays.

BTW I also hate tall headtubes even with slammed stems. I prefer short or normal lenght headtubes with a couple of spacers.

Derf

by Derf

+1 prendrefeu

I'm perfectly fine with taller headtubes, but don't like huge amounts of spacers for obvious mechanical reasons. I like seeing people ride bikes, and it takes a certain body type to have the slammed look that few have. Plus, bend elbows.

xena
Banned

by xena

Derf wrote:+1 prendrefeu

I'm perfectly fine with taller headtubes, but don't like huge amounts of spacers for obvious mechanical reasons. I like seeing people ride bikes, and it takes a certain body type to have the slammed look that few have. Plus, bend elbows.

I ride slammed. IMO I think its a very comfortable position. Back is stretched not hunched at all and definitely more power when pedalling. There's a sweet spot to much either way and its not quite right.
I never understand bikes with a load of spacers, why not go a size up and adjust your seat/stem and get rid of the spacers.
I just think a lot of time people don't give the position a chance. I just don't see any benefit if your hunched up and putting pressure on your body.

I say just have a go and see how it works.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

The next larger sized frame is only going to give you another 1 or 2cm in stack height.