Being fussy - Spacers/Stem quantity/length

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

Before I start: please don't tell me I need a new frame; it's not helpful. I'm 6'5 and have the biggest they make and am very happy with it. Any bigger and I'd be running a mountain bike length stem because I have a short torso.

I've dialled my bike in perfectly for longer rides/comfort over winter. But I'm just wondering whether or not I can improve the looks.

What would you do in this situation:

I'm currently running a 110mm 6 degree stem, but have been forced to use 15mm of spacers. I've always been a slammer, so this is a shock to my system.

I have calculated that a zero degree stem of the same length, with a 3mm spacer will give me (within half a mm) the same bar height, with a loss of 3mm reach.

Bearing in mind, I would drop a spacer for racing, I just want this for training comfort. What would you do? Stick with the 15mm or get a zero degree for (near enough) the same fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

A 4/86 degree with 10mm spacer is another option, however I'm not sure you can buy such an animal.

AJS914

by AJS914

We need pictures of this dire situation.

I'd rather have some spacers over a 90deg stem. They slope upward and don't look great to me. To my eye a stem that follows the line of the top tube looks best.

The equivalent of spacers used to be cool:

Devon

by Devon

Photos in my build thread (signature) but here's a better one. Obviously the spacers above the stem will be removed when I have my setup finalised.

Agreed, in an ideal world the stem angle should match the TT, but in this case I think I'd break my back, or ruin the bike with 20mm+ of spacers.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think that looks pretty good as is. With your almost horizontal top tube a 0/90degree stem is going look like it points skyward. I'd rather have the spacers with what you have now. Just my opinion of course. You should do what you like.

Marin

by Marin

Looks perfect to me. You could get a tapered lower spacer just for looks.

highdraw

by highdraw

Yup, looks good!
FWIW, I rotate my Campy Ultrashifters slightly back for comfort...

Below are a couple of earlier bikes Boonen rode to demonstrate the point.
Even Campy literature shows bars rotated back...my preferred position after countless experimentation. I am super fussy about ergos. Hood level with bar top and bars rotated back slightly also reduces pressure on heel of hand in drops. Old school where hooks point just above rear axle...again, this takes pressure off heel of hand in the drops because base of hand isn't level in the drops...in stark contrast to your position OP where your hoods are rotated more forward which doesn't support the hands...to me quite uncomfortable. Have a look:
Attachments
Boonen's Handlebar Position.jpg
Boonen's  Handlebar Position.jpg
Campy Ultrashift Shifter Hand Positions.jpg

Devon

by Devon

Interesting re: Campy shifters. I think it looks much better as I have it, personally, and I think I'd find those examples uncomfortable. I may have a play though.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I think the slightly tapered 10mm spacer I have (came as stock on my old BMC) makes a difference too.
Last edited by Devon on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

grover

by grover

Seconded. Play with hood position and bar rotation.

You're using a lot of the reach of the bars and lowering the front end by having your hoods rotated down a little.

Try bringing the hoods up a little on the bars which will raise you up and shorten you. Then you could potentially go less spacers with the current stem. With a taller conical spacer this would effectivley be 'slammed'.

By using less reach of the bar you could also potentially go to a longer stem which may look even more in place on your current bike (and actually raise your front end a little) allowing you to remove more spacers.

Bogan

by Bogan

Looks fine to me. Don't see any changes as necessary.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Devon

by Devon

The more I look at it the more I agree. It's not ideal but it's not too bad either. Once I've cut down the steerer, have a proper stem and matching spacers it'll look fine. I'll have a fiddle with shifter/bar angles too and see if I can improve it.

eric

by eric

A stem that angles up is (slightly) lighter and stiffer than adding spacers to make the stem level. On modern bikes I think it looks better too.

BRM

by BRM

You are really fuzzy, a spacer of 15 mm is quite normal, you have to reset your mind I Guess . . . :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes, nothing to argue with if the option is a 0 degree stem. If you are going nuts about it, perhaps that dust cap covering the upper headset bearing could be changed for a higher version.

Or, I would suggest this one (link below) which looks very good.

I had one, but gave it away to a dude who really needed it!

https://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2113
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

Devon wrote:Interesting re: Campy shifters. I think it looks much better as I have it, personally, and I think I'd find those examples uncomfortable. I may have a play though.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I think the slightly tapered 10mm spacer I have (came as stock on my old BMC) makes a difference too.

You just don't know...lol. Your sense of aesthetic simply doesn't match set ups in pro cycling. Vast majority have their hoods angled up with hooks pointing slightly down. Guys that ride bikes for a living understand ergonomics. So your aesthetic sense of normalcy doesn't comport with how pros ride their bikes...which is OK...but your hood position promotes an unhealthy wrist rotation versus a shake hands position on the hoods. I can post countless bikes of hoods angled up on modern bikes.
Your position is the exception and not the rule...which btw is fine. Also a slammed stem convention you seek or choosing the best angle stem to achieve a 'pro look' is a silly pursuit as well...as you get dropped by the guy with the riser stem. You aren't a pro and your set up shouldn't necessarily replicate one. Chasing a lack of stem spacers is like a woman shopping for the perfect pair of high heels to match her blue dress...nothing more.

Below is pictorial illustrating why your position is ergonomically undesirable and a few different pros with a considerable slant to their hood position because it places the wrists in a much more natural position:
Attachments
Bradely Wiggins Pinnie.jpg