Being fussy - Spacers/Stem quantity/length

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

No definitely in the hooks. When I'm pack riding I want a little more height to see since my buddies sit higher. I don't need the added aero behind then. When I'm up front or riding technical, I ride the hooks. When on the hoods my forearms are pretty parallel to the ground, back flat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

@Devon. I would keep the spacers before going with a zero degree stem. 15mm of spacers would not qualify as a "spacer tower" in my opinion.

Deda used to make an 86 degree Zero 100 SC stem, but I have not been able to find a NOS anywhere. I think they have gone the way of the Dodo bird.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Devon

by Devon

lannes wrote:Maybe you could use something like the FSA k-wing compact bars, the tops are angled upwards from the stem to make it a bit higher, this might allow to drop a 5mm spacer.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... handlebar/

Not a bad suggestion. I don't use the tops enough for a set to warrant the money, I don't think.

I think I've definitely decided against the zero degree stem. It'll look awful.

I'll leave it as-is for now. It doesn't look as bad as I originally thought, and will look better when I get the steerer cut down to fit and remove the spacers above the stem.

highdraw

by highdraw

lannes wrote:Maybe you could use something like the FSA k-wing compact bars, the tops are angled upwards from the stem to make it a bit higher, this might allow to drop a 5mm spacer.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... handlebar/

Agree about the FSA K-wing...best handlebar I have ridden...tho not the most weight weeny-ish bar for carbon. I have not found a more ergonomic bar than the K wing for all hand positons...including resting elbows on the tops for a quasi TT position.
But I don't care so much about chasing some sort of perfect aesthetic dream or 10mm of spacer stack or 5 degrees of stem angle. To me, this is a misplaced priority. The priority should always be position, position, position...placing the handlebar in the best place on the bike to achieve the best fit. When deciding between stem rise and spacer stack...choose stem rise and a lower spacer stack if say you are running more than 15mm of spacers. This was discussed...less stress on the steerer if mounting the stem base closer to top of head tube.