Painting a new frame?!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Hi everyone!

Looong time lurker on this great forum!

I have a question regarding Cannondale. I'm about to buy a Super Six Evo, but don't really like the paint jobs that are within my budget. I would love to get the red DA, but it's just too expensive. I do however love the Sagan Signature edition and thought I might have my friend (awarded pro painter - does trucks, motorcycles, NHL helmets etc) help me create something a little bit unique, that still will look like a factory edition.

Is this a bad move? Should I just accept the paint job availible? A repaint will most likely void the warranty....

I'm a professional designer, so I'm pretty sure the result will look very Cannondale-ish with all the right decals and texts, just in a color of my choosing (berserker/liquigas green, black & white).

What would you do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

If you are not aware of the warranty,.. Go for it and share it with us :D

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Well, that is kinda my problem, that I care about the warranty...

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Not possible to buy a frame that has the color scene you like? I think is better not buy something you wont like... World need more pretty bikes :D

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Well, I wish I had the budget, but the ones I like cost twice the amount I can afford (team colors and red hi-mods).
My dream color is Sagans signature edition (TDF 100).

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Why not used for example? Well i would feel a bit sad to get a new bike and dont like the colors. I think you should look for something you really like, up to you! Personally i would buy it...

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

The 2015 model Supersix Evo Ultegra has an all green frame with black and white detailing (very similar to the Sagan ltd edition) I can vouch for how nice the frame looks in the flash as it's the bike I have. So if it's just a frame you are after, it may be worth keeping an eye on eBay or similar sites for a used bike and sell on the other parts or hold out for just a frame. It's not a hi-mod of course but these frames are still super light.

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Cool Burglarboycie! Yeah, I know it's pretty similar. Do you have a pic of yours that you want to share?

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Yeah no problem

AJS914

by AJS914

Since you have the resources for a custom paint job, get a used frame for pennies on the dollar and then go to Wild with a great paint job. Imagine that you could do better than Cannondale's paint jobs.

incredibleting

by incredibleting

I also didn't like the original paint scheme of my Evo. I did get it painted thru a shop recommendation, who promised they'd deal with any warranty issues so I had some peace of mind. It turned out amazingly well, and I'd do it all over again.

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Very interesting to hear. where did you get it repainted?

incredibleting

by incredibleting

I got mine painted at Cycle Therapy in Orange, CA. Not sure where you live though. Check out the bike in my sig, he went above and beyond with the paint job.

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

I live in Sweden.... So now I just have to find a dealer that can help me with contact to a trusted painter. Or find a frame that doesn't need repainting :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

bike companies usually have their own authorised repainters which will not void warranty. for example, I know Jack Kane custom painting services and hot tubes are highly regarded and many manufacturers will honor the warranty if professionally done. ask the cannondale rep if they have any authorised repainters in europe