Painting a new frame?!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lugnegard wrote:I live in Sweden.... So now I just have to find a dealer that can help me with contact to a trusted painter. Or find a frame that doesn't need repainting :(

I sanded a 3T fork and did a minimalistic repaint. I also asked 3T of this and it voids all warranty no matter who does this job.

So, i think you should have a promise of warranty from Cannondale if you do this.

Otherwise, it's probably not worth it!

The labour intensity is in the sanding. It takes lots of time even if you sand just a fork.

If you do it yourself, remember it's wet sanding you'd want to do.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Devon

by Devon

Have you considered a product like Plastidip? Or maybe vinyl wrapping?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Hej Lunegard,
the warranty is one thing but how often do you really use a warranty.... I´d say go for it. I always make my bikes in my own design. Sometimes even with new frames and parts and i´d say if you made it right then you will be much happier with your bike!
Just take a good look at the frame when you get it to be sure that there are no problems before you make some changes.

A good company is: http://www.etoe.de

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Sure, but I' wont be adding any white, which is the heaviest paint. I'm no real weight weenie I guess ;)

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Anyone that knows much of the SS Evo graphics that are actually painted or are they decals? If they are...this is not really a problem.

Devon

by Devon

I'd like to think a company like Cannondale don't use decals on a frame...!?

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Not to sure about that. Spec uses decals on S-works..

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Used frame and fork makes the most sense. You should be able to save a lot of money on a really good frame. After your expert repaint, it will be a like-new frame. Then you can build it up with the parts that you can afford. Get your group set from the UK for dirt cheap. Good, but not expensive wheels are readily available. In order to repaint a bike you would have bought complete, you would have to disassemble and reassemble it, so building up a bike on a new frame is actually less trouble. You should be able to beat the price of the lower end bike you are looking at with better parts and your signature paint job. What's not to like?

And as regards warranty, used frames don't have one anyway, but then you aren't paying for one either. That solves that problem.
Robert

superdx

by superdx

Just try "using" your warranty. Unless the frame actually has a defect there's very little else that the dealer will try to do for you. If it's a brand new bike within the first 2-3 days you maybe able to return it. But after you've rode it, almost everything ISN'T covered afterwards.

Anyways Cannondale's warranty is only 1 year. Get a used frame, strip the paint and repaint that.

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

Good to know. I'm more concerned with what would happen in case of a crash, if a crack appears or if the carbon close to the derailleur hanger snaps...

If I would go for a Spec Tarmac instead, then I def need a repaint.

A used frame would have been a good alternative, but sellers on eBay rarely ships to Sweden. 95% of The ads are from folks in the US.

superdx

by superdx

Crash isn't covered by warranty. Cracks in the carbon the dealer would probably say you broke it, they wouldn't help. My LBS is really nice with maintenance on my bikes, but they won't replace a frame. They might give me a discount on a new one though.

Some eBay sellers ship worldwide. The shipping fee may be a bit high, depending on how fast you want it delivered.

Since you're in Sweden, wouldn't a BMC frame be cheaper? SLR01 is quite close to the SuperSix EVO in terms of geometry. I was thinking you may be able to score some deals on older SLR01 framesets.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

If you want to paint a frame, you really need to know what you are doing, and have the right equipment, or it will end up looking terrible and not last.

Have a look at ETOE on Youtube to see the extent of what you have to get up to, to get a good finish.

Lugnegard

by Lugnegard

I have a couple of awarded painters just wanting go into The booth :)

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

superdx wrote:Just try "using" your warranty. Unless the frame actually has a defect there's very little else that the dealer will try to do for you. If it's a brand new bike within the first 2-3 days you maybe able to return it. But after you've rode it, almost everything ISN'T covered afterwards.

Anyways Cannondale's warranty is only 1 year. Get a used frame, strip the paint and repaint that.
Lifetime Warranty

superdx wrote:Crash isn't covered by warranty. Cracks in the carbon the dealer would probably say you broke it, they wouldn't help. My LBS is really nice with maintenance on my bikes, but they won't replace a frame. They might give me a discount on a new one though.

Some eBay sellers ship worldwide. The shipping fee may be a bit high, depending on how fast you want it delivered.

Since you're in Sweden, wouldn't a BMC frame be cheaper? SLR01 is quite close to the SuperSix EVO in terms of geometry. I was thinking you may be able to score some deals on older SLR01 framesets.
If "cracks in the carbon"occur due to a manufacturing defect, a dealer would submit a warranty claim and Cannondale would replace the frame. The earnest in deciding whether a product should be warrantied falls on the manufacturer, not the dealer (in most cases).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Is that a new thing for lifetime warranty? My 2013 SS EVO clearly states 1 year limited warranty. The laminated card I just threw out a couple weeks ago clearing out my room. Maybe it's a US only offering?