Full internal handlebar/stem routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Just pushed the order button on a new Cervélo S5 frame set, and I'm looking to make some neat customizations for the complete build. I'll be using it as race and training bike, and when climbing I want a round bar since I'm a lot on the tops then.

I've been interested in the idea of routing the mechanical groupset fully internally, with two entry holes in a handlebar and let the shift cables exit through the stem to reach the frame cable entries just behind the stem. HOWEVER, it seems that this is rarely done.

http://www.blktec-cycles.com/collection ... roducts/m1

BLKTEC seems to have a stem that will do the job perfectly, but I suspect handlebars are harder to buy ready for this purpose. I'm aware of the weakening that is present if I decide to drill a couple of holes in a handlebar, but I'm sure there are ways to get around that and stay safe.

Anyone has experience with this? Or do you just give up and buy E-Tap?
velonode.cc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been interested in the idea of routing the mechanical groupset fully internally, with two entry holes in a handlebar and let the shift cables exit through the stem to reach the frame cable entries just behind the stem. HOWEVER, it seems that this is rarely done.

Are you sure this stem is designed for a mechanical group? The more bends you introduce into the housing, the greater chance you can compromise shifting. Also, I don't see the point of having the cables go through the stem. If you have internally routed handlebars, the cables come out of the bars near the top of the stem. Going another 10-12cm through the stem before going into the frame doesn't add much. Also, you need the cables to have enough space/movement so that you can turn the bars side to side.

BTW, I've installed two sets of internally routed bars and both were a big PITA. In the future I will just skip the internal routing and tape the cables under the bar.