Stylish, Modern bike builders in Europe?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

Last edited by Broady on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiery

by Fiery

BRM

by BRM

cdtf wrote:Hey weenies,

I'm currently on the market as I want to bike my dream bike.

A custom or semi-custom modern, relaxed road bike, with everything current bikes technology has to offer: Hydraulic disc brakes, Di2, Thru-Axle front, carbon fork ...

Europeans are left with classic frame builders, who love mechanical groupsets, boring paint jobs, and outdated rim brakes?

Do you know where I could find a good company in the EU, with a MODERN mindset?

Rim brakes are not outdated, you are a victim of marketing I guess . . . . :wink:
The current electronical groups will be soon outdated because of new developments. (short lifecircle)
Mechanical groups however are in development for long time and are on their top of whats possible. (longer lifecircle)
Their is nothing oldfashioned on mechanical groups.
I dont want to stop you from bying what you want but just to correct your view.

Maybe you better tell first in which country you live.
You can let build the bike by one company and do the paintjob by a professional airbrush artist orso, to get your very own unique bike.

PSM

by PSM

Rolo.

sawyer

by sawyer

The rim brakes comment was laughable yes

OTOH I'm happy for others to load their bikes up with the additional weight and drag of disc brakes. Bike will look like cac into the bargain ...

I can stop fine on the lighter more aero dynamic and aesthetically pleasing rim brakes, so I'll hang on to the dated tech thanks ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cdtf

by cdtf

Hi again,

I miss fingers in my right hand, and I lack force in the fingers I have left.

To me, Di2 is a gift from god, as a mouse click is now enough to shift perfectly.

I know I was harsh concerning rim brakes, but again, same concern. I can't really brake with my right hand, so I need a powerful front brake. Disc it is.

Plus I live in north of France, where it's always rainy and gritty. With this kind of weather, carbon rims are doomed with rim brakes.

I did contact a few buidlers you guys suggested.

Festka, Field Cycles and Van Deyk all look amazing.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Another vote for Jaegher.

cdtf

by cdtf

fignonsbarber wrote:Another vote for Jaegher.

They doesnt seem to do custom nor disc brakes, more like "Here, choose one of our frames".

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

Stelbel. They don't have their disc frame on their site yet but they have a few pics on their insta. Super progressive design and reasonable pricing that should make some of these other builders embarrassed.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Kurtz

http://www.kurtz.hu/?lang=en

Merényi

http://www.merenyi.eu/hu/

Jst wanted to be a little patriotic :)

The former surely can build anything to your taste, the latter is questionable, whether he'd take new work or not. I'd try Kurtz at least.

calvin

by calvin

cdtf wrote: I can't really brake with my right hand, so I need a powerful front brake. Disc it is.

As far as i know it is also possible to set cables for rear brake so that they work on left shifter
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

mythical

by mythical

cdtf wrote:
fignonsbarber wrote:Another vote for Jaegher.

They doesnt seem to do custom nor disc brakes, more like "Here, choose one of our frames".
Pardon for asking but what's not custom about Jaegher? Customers have the option to get their frame ‘made to measure’ and in colors they specify, plus the waiting list speaks for itself. Or is that not custom enough for ya? Also, must a brand have done a disc frame in order to be called custom?

Steven from Jaegher is a personal acquaintance of mine and the core market of his brand is building and selling awesome handmade steel road bikes and frames. Jaegher recently did a mountainbike with discs, so I assume a ‘gravel bike’ frame is also within their capabilities. I quite like what he's trying to do, even though I prefer steel frames with oversized tubes.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com