Reynolds Assault SLG or Roval Rapide CL 40?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bonafide

by bonafide

All...I am looking for an everyday, aero wheelset and have an opportunity to buy either of the Reynolds Assault SLG or the Roval Rapide CL 40. I'm looking for light(ish) weight and durability. I'd like to add a PT G3 and still be in teh 1550g range or less w/o skewers. So three questions:

1. If these were both new and the same price, which would you take
2. If the Rapides were used but in great shape for $800 or the Reynolds were new for $1100 which would you take?
3. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I'd say the Reynolds would be a better choice for tubeless compatibility (2015 and up slg's) and their known good braking. The Rapides do have better hub internals (dt350) but if you're swapping the rear out for a Power Tap then it doesn't matter. Rapide's are also a bit narrower just in case you're frame doesn't accept the wider Assault's?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bonafide

by bonafide

Doh. That price for the Reynolds was for disk version :( The non-disk version is $1600

Sleepless

by Sleepless

1600 would be the list price. I got them with CK hubs for 1600.

bonafide

by bonafide

I think since i will be adding a PT G3 I will likely go with a set of hubs from Light Bicycle 35/45 clinchers and have them built locally, using the G3, Dati front and CX Ray spokes. This will likely be lighter than the Reynolds of Rovals.