Ultegra 6800 chainset with Campagnolo shifters and mech

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

I know that much has been written about the compatibility of the various 11 speed group sets.

My wife runs an entirely Campagnolo bike, but after a recent bike fit requires 165mm cranks. Only Shimano make these.

Ultegra seem to be great value.

Obviously the rear shifting will be fine, and the KMC 11 speed chain will work, but how about the front mech throw? Is the chainring spacing the same? Any experience?
Last edited by solarider on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

No problems whatsoever.

I'm running that combo on my winter bike as I wanted reliable bottom brackets, and a semi compact chainset at a reasonable price
:thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I have the CX cranks which were cheaper; started off with the standard 46/36 but now run 46/33 aftermarket chainrings. No problems either way.
There are other makers, but none as economical or light enough to warrant the expense. I still look at exotic offerings, but there's no need to change.
Less is more.

stormur

by stormur

If memory serves well Rotor is making 165 as well. If Campagnolo works with Rotor cranks ( and it does perfectly ) will work with Shimano too.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Your explanation for using Shimano is accepted. But I fear you have not put enough effort into finding a crankset that isn't Shimano. SRAM is almost as bad as Shimano, but don't they do 165? Or maybe it's only their MTB cranksets.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

solarider

by solarider

I am a lifelong Campagnolo fan. Love pretty much everything they do. But I would choose anything over Power Torque.

Vs Athena, Ultegra is:

More modern (4 arm)
Lighter
Easier to service and remove (5mm allen key vs all those tools for Power Torque)
Cheaper (literally half the price)

If they introduce an Ultra Torque 4 arm version for Athena in 2016 I will be first in line, but until then, the current Athena chainset is just wrong on too many levels.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

The 5 arm ultra torque 165 compact cranks are still available from the distributor in the UK. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Campagnolo-165-11X-Ultra-Torque-Carbon-Chainset_63390.htm?sku=186756&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CJvVq_yfnMkCFQgcwwod8c4J0w#
or just ask your local dealer to get one in for you.

solarider

by solarider

The Ultegra chainset and bb was 1/4 the price of the Record in that link, and those chainsets are starting to look a little dated now.

Since my wife's criteria for bike purchases are colour, then colour, followed by whether the colour matches the accents on her shoes, she isn't bothered by the collar and cuffs matching. The Campagnolo loyalty is mine.

Ultegra ordered and should arrive tomorrow I hope.

A shame that the new 4 arm Campagnolo chainsets aren't being produced in 165mm.

dntong

by dntong

One of the reasons why I went with Ultegra...availability of 165mm cranks. Although in hindsight, i would be fine with 170mm cranks

solarider

by solarider

Ultegra arrived and fitted.

And I can confirm it works a treat with the Campagnolo mech and shifters.

Technically an outstanding piece of kit. The lower end Campagnolo chainsets just can't compete at this price point.

I have ridden Campagnolo loyally for 28 years, but every time I see contemporary Shimano, I can't help feeling a sense of disappointment with Campagnolo.......

highdraw

by highdraw

Not sure why you would be disappointed with Campy as their UltraTorque cranks are superb...especially with English or Italian threaded BB...but their PowerTorque cranks sure aren't...nor is OverTorque as good with their interference tapered splines which require special tools. So yes, the latter are disappointing. Head of the class? For my money, Shimano cranks. Superb design...super easy to install...adjustable mechanical preload...dual pinch bolt is as good as it gets compared to other left arm attachment schemes. I have run all combos of Shimano + Campy...with both Shimano 10 and 11s cranks with Campy 10 and 11s and visa versa. All combos shift fine. Bang for buck...a bit heavy...the new Shimano 105 11s crank is a peach...I run one in fact on my 10s Campy drop bar touring bike...can't beat it for the $$ and much prefer it to the lower level Campy cranks excepting UltraTorque. All said, will take a DA crank over a Record UT crank...for overall design but I run a Campy UT crank on primary carbon bike and it has been bulletproof.

sawyer

by sawyer

solarider wrote:Ultegra arrived and fitted.

And I can confirm it works a treat with the Campagnolo mech and shifters.

Technically an outstanding piece of kit. The lower end Campagnolo chainsets just can't compete at this price point.

I have ridden Campagnolo loyally for 28 years, but every time I see contemporary Shimano, I can't help feeling a sense of disappointment with Campagnolo.......

I feel the opposite - every time I see those huge STIs and that aesthetically awkward bartape > shifter transition I'm reminded of one of the virtues of Campagnolo

And that's before we get to the horde of Shimano users queue-ing up for Boras! :thumbup:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

solarider

by solarider

And so begins another debate without conclusion about Shimano vs Campagnolo. With the exception of the Ultegra chanset now spinning beautifully on my wife's bike, my other 6 are all Super Record mechanical and EPS. But that doesn't prevent me from admiring Shimano's ingenuity in some respect. I do agree that the Campagnolo shifters are 'nicer' (but ultimately this is all very personal and subjective). I also think that Campagnolo's mechs are 'nicer', but Shimano chainsets and brakes are I am afraid to admit superior in my opinion.

With the advent of equidistant 11 speed spacing, how about a thinking man's mix and match approach between the 2?

Campagnolo Shifters and Mechs
Shimano Brakes and Chainset

OK I haven't mentioned SRAM or FSA etc, or the smaller niche players, but why do we like the groupset vs mix and match approach?

sawyer

by sawyer

solarider - shimano calipers are no question superior. Campagnolo should at least adopt the grub screw retention mechanism - it just works

In fact on my Aeroad I have the factory supplied Ultegra direct mount calipers running with 2015 Record ergos ... they work at least as well as any all Campag set up I've tried

I disagree re chainsets though. There isn't much in it but in terms of bearings (UT, CULT vs DA) I would take Campagnolo, and I much prefer the look and feel of the carbon cranks. Overall I'd take an UT chainset over any Shimano crank

On wheels Campag have come back very strongly over the past year, and have edged ahead of Shimano, who need to get fully into the wider rim, black brake track, and carbon clincher scene

I am actually a fan of Shimano stuff generally, and rode 9spd for about 5 years, but just can't get on with the giant shifters these days ... guess I've been spoiled on Campag for too long

Also, as Campag has disappeared from OEM in a funny way it's become even more of a connoisseur's club :thumbup:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com