Parlee Altum or Sworks Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scook2028

by scook2028

So im currently riding a 2012 specialized roubaix (10 speed) and i am trying to decide between an Parlee Altum or Sworks Frame and fork. And build it from there. Its hard to find anyone who owns a Parlee Altum or even see one in person to demo one at the LBS. There are however Tarmacs everywhere. So im turning to WW to hopefully help me figure this out. I have been buying parts and have come down to just needing the frame set and crank.

So far my build list looks like this:
wheels enve 4.5
Tune skewers
handlebars enve
stem enve
seat Sworks Toupe
Shimano dura ace di2
dura ace chain
EE cycleworks brakes
Kogal BB
Shimano Dura Ace pedals
Tune Bottle Cages

Im not sure about casette size or crank.
in my area there are alot of hills / rolling hills and my current bike came stock with a compact which has served me well. I was thinking of going with a 52/36 and 11/28 in the rear. Thoughts ?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've ridden both and can honestly say it's hard to go wrong with either one. Both have a really balanced ride quality and I think you'd be happy with either one. In my case I would go with the Altum because as you said there are Tarmacs everywhere and I prefer to have something a bit more unique.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scook2028

by scook2028

Thanks for the feedback !! What are your thoughts on gearing ? I was thinking of going with a 52/36 and 11/28 in the rear. Thoughts ?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Personally I like the s-works between the two ride wise but the altum is indeed a unique bike you won't see much of that rides perfectly well. I find the tarmac to be a bit more snappy than the altum in some cases. Gearing wise you really can not go wrong with a 52\36 and a 28 in the back. I don't think you can get a wider range than that. And it enables you to go true compact gearing if for some reason you find yourself needing something easier.
Just ride ..

scook2028

by scook2028

Coming from a Roubaix i am definitely looking for a more snappy lively ride. What cases specifically did you find the tarmac to be a bit more snappy? Also is there a weight difference between the 2? Do you feel it in the ride? Does one feel heavier then the other?

3delis

by 3delis

Have had both - currently on Altum - love it.

The SL4 is a race machine - agree with itsacarr probably more snappy

I think the parts you have listed would look better on the Altum and the frame is unique - easy to build up also (wiring, etc)

I would stick with compact though - don't mess with something that works

AJS914

by AJS914

scook2028 wrote:Thanks for the feedback !! What are your thoughts on gearing ? I was thinking of going with a 52/36 and 11/28 in the rear. Thoughts ?

I like 52/36 for a great all around gearing. I do miss a 34 in the front though when doing lots of climbing because I like to spin with higher rpms as much as possible. You just have to decide if 36x28 is enough for the climbs you do.

scook2028

by scook2028

3delis. When you say the sl4 is a race machine does that mean its harsh or uncomfortable ? I'm looking for snappy on acceleration and climbs but i also don't want to get beat up all day long either.
If you could get a brand new altum or sworks right now would you still pick the Altum? Also did you do the custom USA made frame or the mass produced bike? im thinking the latter in the Blue color. Which one out of the 2 is the Lightest ?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Check the geometry (stack & reach) and select the one that fits you better. The Tarmac geo is more race oriented than the Roubaix (longer & lower), meaning you would probably need a lot of spacers to replicate your current position. The Parlee is a little more relaxed and also more flexible with the different headset top caps.

Both are excellent bikes, and if both of them fits your budget and will make you want to ride more, chose the one that fits you better.

3delis

by 3delis

actually the sl4 is not harsh - u would think it would be - but its not that bad. but as Andre posted, the Altum has a taller headtube setup, so if you can only handle like 4 cm of drop - u won't need much in the way of spacers for Altum compared to the S-Works.

If you get S-works - def better to go ahead and use their crankset. It's actually pretty stiff - I had trouble with other BB options in the bike.

I have the standard Black Altum - but the lighter one - not the "R" version - it rides great. This frame is def an improvement over the previous model Z5

3delis

by 3delis

scook - if you search my listings you will see my Altum

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

As said they are both great bikes but I would pick the Parlee every time. Something unique wins in my book.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

JimV

by JimV

I can not say anything about the Specialized. I own an ESX and an Altum, and previously a Z5. I spent a lot more time on the Altum than the ESX this year. Parlee has the balance just right in my opinion. I am a 1600+ watt sprinter and don't have any complaints about stiffness in sprints, but the savings in fatigue is real. The bike just disappears beneath you and lets you ride with out drama. When I first got the Z5 the thing that was noticeable was that I rode farther or faster for the same effort. I would get back from the ride and I would be pleasantly surprised that if I thought I rode 100k the ride was really 120k. The Altum lost a couple of hundred grams and gained some front end stiffness out of the saddle compared to the Z5. Finishing in the top 25 in 1-2's races is not a problem on the Altum.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have a Z5 SLi with Di2 and it's my favorite road bike of all I've owned. When the Altum first came out I didn't care for the look of the top tube joining the headtube but it's growing on me. The Altum Disc that Fairwheel Bikes linked to is absolutely gorgeous.

I go back and forth between 52-36 and 50-34 on the chainrings. That's the nice thing about the new Shimano cranksets -- you can put any of the common chainring combos on it: 53-39, 52-36, and 50-34. One bolt circle for all. I bought it with 52-36 and that's what I use most of the time around here in Seattle with 11-28 (or occasionally 11-25) cassette. The midcompact is a great compromise. I can get low enough for the hills around here but still big enough that I don't spin out on the downhills. However, when I went to Mallorca in the Spring and to Sonoma in the Fall to ride Levi's Gran Fondo, where I was riding steeper hills and more of them, I wanted the option to go lower. I'm 61 and reasonably fit, and don't want to push the big gears anymore, so having the compact when I needed it was nice. It's an easy switch of the chainrings.

RyanH

by RyanH

The Parlee Z5 was smoother than my Litespeeds. It's a really amazing ride. I can only assume the Altum would be similar.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com