ride differences? TCR Advanced Pro vs TCR Advanced SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

The $1k would be the difference between DA and Ultegra. Giant wheels are good. R3 is an old design but still great bike. But for me the big thing would be fit. The stack numbers are over 1cm different with these bikes. I'd get the one that fits you better. If a tie after having owed Giants and Cervelos = Giant due to new design, tech and weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davetung

by davetung

I have the new Giant SLR-0 wheel set and they are great. They are good enough for racing and I don't plan on upgrading the wheel set. And I would choose Giant over Cervelo if all things are equal. Cervelo is a sexy brand but I am happier with Giant's quality and value. In fact I recently switch from Cervelo S5 to Giant Propel Advanced SL and I am very happy I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by davetung on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoney

by stoney

tacostand wrote:If anyone with experience with the Giant wheel set can chime in, I'd love to hear how they hold up. I gather they're new this year, so probably not a lot of long term experience out there. On paper they look pretty great.

The Giant SLR 0 wheel set is awesome. They're light, stiff, and spin up fast.

tacostand

by tacostand

Good to hear some good experiences with the Giant wheels! They look nice in person - I like the fact that they don't have huge decals all over them like most other big brands.

Curious to know what people mean about the Cervelo being an "older" design. Is it just that it's in year 2-3 of this iteration or is there something more dated about it? I've not been looking at aero bikes - but I'm vulnerable to Cervelo's marketing the R3 as more aerodynamic than other non-aero frames.

In terms of fit, I'll have to look at the numbers I got from a Retul fit several years ago, but I think I can make both frames fit pretty comfortably.

iand12

by iand12

I just test rode the 2016 Giant TCR advanced pro 0 yesterday, and like you I was curious to find out the difference between it and the SL. Unfortunately the bike shop didn't have an SL in stock..

I currently have a Caad 10 with 6800 gruppo and in the market for a new frameset. The TCR ad pro 0 BB is stiff, with really responsive steering, not to mention light. The downsides are what the previous commenters said plus traveling in a bike bag/or box is not as painful as the SL's ISP.

I think its a bike really worth test riding. Best of luck!
2014 Cannondale Caad10

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

R3 would be my choice with whatever wheels float your boat. R3 will be a more comfortable bike and personally after owning both a TCR and an R3 amongst everything else the R3 is still my favorite bike I've owned for long days in the saddle.
Using Tapatalk

stoney

by stoney

Nefarious86 wrote:R3 would be my choice with whatever wheels float your boat. R3 will be a more comfortable bike and personally after owning both a TCR and an R3 amongst everything else the R3 is still my favorite bike I've owned for long days in the saddle.

Your experiences aren't valid in this situation. You haven't owned a 2016 TCR and it is a totally new frameset compared to previous years models.

Gregg

by Gregg

Sorry for a bit of a thread drift but am I correct in thinking that the advanced and advanced pro use the same frame?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

stoney wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:R3 would be my choice with whatever wheels float your boat. R3 will be a more comfortable bike and personally after owning both a TCR and an R3 amongst everything else the R3 is still my favorite bike I've owned for long days in the saddle.

Your experiences aren't valid in this situation. You haven't owned a 2016 TCR and it is a totally new frameset compared to previous years models.

Many replies in this thread are comparing non 2016 items :) sorry to have sh#t in you weetbix.
Using Tapatalk

rick222

by rick222

Love ISP's or hate em but the ride I get with with the ISP on my 2016 TCR SL 2 is much improved compared with my older Advanced without the ISP. It's amazing how much they can tune an ISP with the correct carbon layout.

LetRip

by LetRip

My 2016 TCR Advanced SL0 Di2. Changed from a Spesh Roubaix Expert. Armchair to wooden chair is a good analogy. 7kg from 8.8kg. Stiffer than a teenage boy in Ann Summers. Race position just begs to go for it.

OK it's a big change, given that I ran the Roubaix with 28mm tyres and this has 23mm. I'm 85kg and the power goes straight to the drive train no flex at all in the BB or even the wheels noticed. (Unlike the Roubaix!). Noticeably more rapid on climbs now. Di2 is amazing, so quick and accurate.

So the SL0 (2016) in large, 23mm tyres, with pedals (Time Xpresso 10 Carbon) and bottle cages and Garmin mount & cadence is exactly 7.0kg. Didn't try the Pro so can't compare.

7.0kg
7.0kg

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

if you ever want to travel w/ your bike, ISP is a no no.

gavin

by gavin

ChiZ01 wrote:if you ever want to travel w/ your bike, ISP is a no no.

LOL love these guys that talk utter rubbish and then don't even have the bikes they are talking about .

I have a 2016 ISP TCR SL0 and it travels in my bike box alan everywhere.

No issue whatsoever.

I rode the TCR advanced 0 before buying the SL 0 and it was a really nice bike but in my opinion to me the SL is worth the extra.

The new wheelset is also very good and comparable to zipp etc

ps i was upgrading from TCR advanced 1 2014 model

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Out of curiosity, what size frame do you have and what is your saddle height? For larger frames with integrated seatposts it can definitely be an issue when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gavin

by gavin

I am 180 cm and saddle height is 751 mm

When you buy a bike box Alan you specify height of seatpost and isp or not .

Also you can remove the seat which makes the height lower .

Another bike bag option is Scion bags which do not require the removal of seatpost