Carbon thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pitbull

by pitbull

addictR1 wrote:wouldn't that scratch the carbon fiber underneath?

No the carbon is to strong. You will recognise when you are rubbing on the fibre because it will be a lot harder to remove material and if you overdo it the dust will turn black (if the paint wasn't already black). You could remove the top layer of resin but that does nothing to the strength of the part.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks pitbull

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I have a bunch of pics ill add to this tomorrow. Loving this thread!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Might be old news, but I saw that you can 3D print carbon now. Apparently it's many times efficient/lighter too. May be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wjjDBdgeE

pitbull

by pitbull

kevosinn wrote:I have a bunch of pics ill add to this tomorrow. Loving this thread!

Looking forward to it :)

pitbull

by pitbull

jamesbass wrote:Might be old news, but I saw that you can 3D print carbon now. Apparently it's many times efficient/lighter too. May be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wjjDBdgeE

Seems nice if optimised properly. I dont know if they are really able to direkt fibre directions or they are just using short fibres mixed with resin.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Great thread guys - hope it keeps going.
Just ride ..

pitbull

by pitbull

Here are some Bottle Cages I made for my bikes. Again if you are interested in how to make one just ask.
In my opinion a bottle cage is fairly easy to make and therefore is a nice project to start with.
Btw they weigh between 6 and 11g depending on the strength, road/mtb and shape.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

pitbull wrote:Here are some Bottle Cages I made for my bikes. Again if you are interested in how to make one just ask.
In my opinion a bottle cage is fairly easy to make and therefore is a nice project to start with.
Btw they weigh between 6 and 11g depending on the strength, road/mtb and shape.

Cages look damn cool, how much did you spend in materials to make these? :thumbup:

pitbull

by pitbull

duvivr6 wrote:Cages look damn cool, how much did you spend in materials to make these? :thumbup:

Thanks :) You have to spend about 35 euros on material but you can make about 10 cages and other things from that. And dont forget if you dont already have protection gear that adds up as well. (But you need that anyway)

pitbull

by pitbull

To keep this Thread going here is one Sigma "Aero Mount" I made.
weighs 8 grams and works really well. Again if you want to know how i made it, ask me.
If you have any other questions about your projects or Ideas feel free to ask and I or someone other might be able to answer it.
Btw. You can see a Prototype Ahead Cap with integrated spacer on that Picture. I´m not quite satisfied with the manufacturing process and looks of it yet.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Speaking of the carbon 3d printer.....ill post plenty on it when mine arrives :)
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

pitbull

by pitbull

Kevosinn I am still looking forward to seeing your projects. Saw you have a damn light addict. Do you have a thread about that? Guys if you know any other diy/Carbon/modding threads please post them here, i would be interested. I poorly did not find all that much on this forum.

Marin

by Marin

Pitbull, I'm interested in the computer mount since the process would probably be similar to making a seatpost clamp, which I am considering doing... at some point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

@ pitbull viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133214 here is a link to the thread. give me a few min and ill post some projects and highlights on here. Maybe even some spyshots of a 620 gram frame im working on :)