New Campagnolo 11 speed cable pull&derailleur actuation rati

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I was just wondering whether there is anyone who knows a reliable info on how the cable pull of older 11speed levers is different to that of current models. :welcome:

I'd greatly appreciate some input or assistance. I know the cable pull has been changed for this model year, albeit, I have no idea whether they have increased the cable travel or decreased it.

Increased cable travel with a smaller derailleur actuation ratio could possibly even mean that their stuff is cross-compatible with 11speed shimano derailleurs. :|

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Surprised that no response yet. I thought someone would have measured 2015 Chorus/Record cable pull by now.

Unless it's just a myth that it changed? :unbelievable:

I believe that it is physically impossible to increase cable pull without the shifter body getting fatter as there is no room for a larger cable spool.

And to reduce it while increasing RD ratio would seem to be a move in the direction of less shifting accuracy.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I would love to find out also.
I have a feeling it would probably shift fine with the older shifters...

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

if there was a slight increase in cabel travel with a decreased RD actuation ratio (eg: 1.4 instead of 1.5) that would make the new campag and 11spd sh&rd-4700 tiagra derailleurs compatible.. and even with pre-2001 campy. :up:

I'm guessing, but probably they only increased the travel a tiny bit, because decreased travel could have lead to hindered shifting performance, esp. on concealed cable routing frames and handlebars.. :noidea:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If Campag 11 speed v1 pulls 2.6mm and Shimano 10 speed pulls 2.3mm, you would assume that there would be an unworkable difference between Campag 11 speed v2 and Shimano 11 speed.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

But current sh RDs have actuation ratio of 1.4, like last millenium's campys.

Their 11speed levers pull 2.7mm*1,4 (RD actuation ratio) cc. 3.78mm travel.

Very interestingly, when you have a campy 10speed lever (eg.: record before 09) it'd mean 2.8*1,4, which is 3.92, damn close to shimano 10 speed.

I assume that modern shimano RD-s with old campy 10speed levers work like a charm on shimano 10speed cassettes. THe only question is, how is the cable pull of late, 2015 MY chorus-record-SR changed compared to erlier 11spd models.. hmm..

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-beh ... atibility/

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/ ... Dimensions

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Bumping the thread. According to tables, the Shimano 9000/6800/5800/4700 RDs have actuation ratio of 1.4.. is there anyone, who actually can confirm this?

Because if its true, then a campy 10 speed shifter with an ultegra derailleur would work on a 10 speed Shimano casette

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én D5833-el

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I had to check the math.

2.8 mm x 1.4 = 3.92 mm

Shimano 10 spd cog spacing = 3.95 mm

So, yes it's so close that it looks like it would work fine.

One.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

thank you, that was exactly what i was referring to.

i recall when comparing different derailleurs in their design (body length, cable attachement bolt position compared to the pivot points) one friend of mine suggested, that new shimano derailleurs are very reminiscent of old prae-2001 campag derailleurs.

the tables confirmed a pull ratio of 1.4, therefore, i assumed that they would indeed work with the same cable pull.

I§m just still a bit sceptic, and do not really want to believe what the reason suggests. Perhaps I should just go ahead, and buy the parts to try it.. :) :)

thank you for the input

Miller

by Miller

I don't think Campag sprocket spacing is entirely even across the block, there is a small variation from one side to the other. The detals are on this forum.... somewhere.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Miller wrote:I don't think Campag sprocket spacing is entirely even across the block, there is a small variation from one side to the other. The detals are on this forum.... somewhere.

We were discussing shifting on a Shimano 10-spd cassette.

One.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

i believe campagnolo is evenly spaced, albeit, requires different thick spacers for the loose cogs and for the cogs on carrier. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com