Northwave Extreme Winter GTX Shoe/Boot

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

How come these are said to be waterproof when there appears to be a mesh-covered vent hole at the rear of the outersole?

Thanks.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mine seem to the job well. Nothing is truely water proof what these shoes do is keep your feet warm. That is priceless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

I bought the Sidi Diablo. They are very waterproof.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I bought these recently. can not over state how disappointed i am with them. There is only one reason someone pays the extra for a product with GoreTex...its to stay dry!!

first ride was 3 hours with maybe 20min of light rain and the start and wet roads the whole way. my feet were soaked after about an hour.
second ride was just 1 hour in on and off light rain. some 5 min vo2 intervals and a cool down (warmed up on rollers). i think i rode less than 20km total...after 40min - wet feet.
third ride - raining almost the of the way and wet roads all the way. after 40 min - wet feet. after 3 hours my socks were literally dripping wet.

I've tried with Pearl Izumi Amfib bib tights which have an extra flap or "Gasket" as they call it which comes down over the outside of the top of the shoes to help prevent water ingress from the top. I've also done the same with Castelli Nanoflex leg warmers. id didn't make any difference. it feels like the toe box is the first place to get wet.

i really wanted to like these shoes because they're pretty comfy and feel like they're really well made but Im sending them back. If i was confident the vents in the bottom were the only reason these are not water proof id jsut fill the holes with epoxy or something but i suspect the holes are only in the outer sole and not in the Goretex lining. hard to say

will try the Sidis...i like Sidis!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I wear a windproof bootie covers over mine to keep the arctic wind and rain at bay. Seems to work fine.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

mr4fox

by mr4fox

bikeboy1tr wrote:I wear a windproof bootie covers over mine to keep the arctic wind and rain at bay. Seems to work fine.

have you used them for any extended periods (3-4hours) in the rain or really wet roads and still had dry feet?
although having to use a bootie on top of the shoe seemingly defeats the purpose of paying the premium for a goretex winter shoe I wouldnt mind if i new i could have dry feet...anything for dry feet!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well they keep my feet warm and that the main thing. Today MTB ride I had my feet down in water logged mud and my foot sank. I had to walk a bit in this and my feet stayed dry.

In rain water gets into everything. nothing can stop it. Although I think these will do alot better than shoe covers for longer.

As far as I am concerned they are a good buy. If you want to stay dry in the rain stay indoors.

mattr

by mattr

I have road and mtb versions, the only time I've had wet feet is when I've stood in a puddle that goes over the top of the boot, driving rain/spray where water has run down my shin into the boot or if I've misjudged the weather. Hot, sweaty feet.........

I've never actually had cold feet tho, even when they've been wet.

And I've fixed most of the wet problems, mudguards plus flaps for the road spray (that's where most of the water on your shins comes from) and watching where i put my feet...... can't do anything about weather forecasts!

If your feet are really getting that wet, send em back.

mattr

by mattr

And i pretty sure the vents don't go all the way to the inner sock.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

"Waterproof" for this sport?! Forget about it!
I own a pair of these GTX boots. I tested them a bit below freezing temperatures in thick wool socks for an hour or so before temperature start rising. My toes were freezing. It's disturbing how marketing department get away by label these "waterproof"! I slipped my Endura "waterproof" booties www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID ... code=E0015
on top of these GTX boots to see how long it will take for water to sip through. My socks were soaked in about an hour. I can't imagine riding in rain without booties!

Another failed product labeled "waterproof"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Have you ever seen the big hole at the top of the shoe? the one where you generally put your foot into when you need to put the shoes on?
That giant hole will make sure that water spray that is generated by your front and rear wheels will trickle down from your legs into the boots. Gore tex is a very nice membrane that works extremely well in jackets, pants and shoes. (take a look at a mountaineering store to get my point)
You want you boots to be waterproof? put them on and tape the top side to your leg with duck tape. Don't use a velotoze shoe cover on them as that will keep the membrane form working and essentially trap all of the sweat inside of the shoe. This trapped sweat will then start to cool and with that cool your feet.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Frankie - B wrote:Have you ever seen the big hole at the top of the shoe? the one where you generally put your foot into when you need to put the shoes on?
That giant hole will make sure that water spray that is generated by your front and rear wheels will trickle down from your legs into the boots. Gore tex is a very nice membrane that works extremely well in jackets, pants and shoes. (take a look at a mountaineering store to get my point)
You want you boots to be waterproof? put them on and tape the top side to your leg with duck tape. Don't use a velotoze shoe cover on them as that will keep the membrane form working and essentially trap all of the sweat inside of the shoe. This trapped sweat will then start to cool and with that cool your feet.

Big whole at the top of the shoe? I have no idea what you talking about. There's a small hole on the bottom of the shoe by heel, that I covered it against spray www.northwave.com/en/product/_extreme_winter_gtx_r My feet didn't get soaked from the bottom like my summer shoes. The top of the shoe was soaked and not from sweat! Using duct tape will prevent leaks from leg warmers down to ankles, which isn't the concern here. All apparel and shoes are overrated thanks to marketing gimmicks hence the reason I return many products because they don't perform up to bar. I will pay premium for a product when it works as advertised.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com