Enve 3.4 or 4.5 Tubulars ???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Dude, you live in Florida. There are no scenarios where weight matter. 6.7 or 8.9. Save the 3.4 for windy days.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

^ depends on his weight really and ride preference. 6.7s and 8.9 will be fast but feel more sluggish than the 3.4 or 4.5.....and its windy a lot in coastal areas.

Reality is he's going to spend 2500 on NEW ENVEs and ride them 10 times a year(since they are race day only). That's why I told him to consider the used market for the 3.4s. He's not going to listen becasue he has a hole in his wallet. Been there done that and have 5 wheel sets in house now to show for it including some low mileage race day C24 tubs getting low low use due to glass where I ride.

OP do the math. Do you want to spend $2500 for new tubs for 10 rides a year? OR get clinchers that are not going to be slower and actual get to ride them a lot?

Now if you said you really want tubulars for the ride characteristics, or safety etc., then tubulars are the right decision.

Your money good luck.

Krackor

by Krackor

If money is no object, then definitely get the 4.5. It is only 6 grams heavier and more aero than the 3.4. Although I agree, for riding in central florida I can't imagine using anything but the most aero wheels no matter the weight.

KWalker

by KWalker

mimason wrote:^ depends on his weight really and ride preference. 6.7s and 8.9 will be fast but feel more sluggish than the 3.4 or 4.5.....and its windy a lot in coastal areas.

Reality is he's going to spend 2500 on NEW ENVEs and ride them 10 times a year(since they are race day only). That's why I told him to consider the used market for the 3.4s. He's not going to listen becasue he has a hole in his wallet. Been there done that and have 5 wheel sets in house now to show for it including some low mileage race day C24 tubs getting low low use due to glass where I ride.

OP do the math. Do you want to spend $2500 for new tubs for 10 rides a year? OR get clinchers that are not going to be slower and actual get to ride them a lot?

Now if you said you really want tubulars for the ride characteristics, or safety etc., then tubulars are the right decision.

Your money good luck.

If he's racing, the fastest wheel he can handle with the wind is the best. Again, key variable being wind. Moment of inertia differences are moot at best and I've known really light guys to ride really deep wheels (Contador has ridden 808s on tons of stages even, some cat 1 friends that are 125-125 race on 60mm wheels fine).

If cost is a concern, I'd shop for something middle of the range or a 4.5 and sell the others.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mimason

by mimason

This is all good discussion and correct. Not a big difference in spin up but the handling, feedback, steering and interaction with wind is considerable.

OP, consider renting some tubulars for a race or local riding before you decide or see if the local shops will demo them for you.

Bmwx5gcc

by Bmwx5gcc

Thank you for all your feedback and advice much appreciated.

I have decided to go with Enve 4.5 Tubulars.

Thanks again !!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Bmwx5gcc wrote:Thank you for all your feedback and advice much appreciated.

I have decided to go with Enve 4.5 Tubulars.

Thanks again !!

Good decision! You might want to check with Enve before you buy, though, as I have heard that the 4.5 will be updated with the improved brake track they first introduced on the 2.2 rims.

Bmwx5gcc

by Bmwx5gcc

So I decided to go with the Enve 4.5 Tubulars for all the above mentioned reasons. I currently have the 4.5 Clinchers.

Clincher set has Continental GP4000s II 25mm
Tubular set has Continental Competition 25mm w/ tufo tape

I weighed all the complete wheels and the results are

Tubular FRONT is 130 grams lighter than the Clincher
Tubular REAR is 77 grams lighter than the Clincher
Total Tubular set is 207 grams lighter than the clincher set.

Doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to justify having both sets.

sawyer

by sawyer

In WW-land 207g is quite a bit though!

cf a frame that weighs 893g vs a frame that weighs 1100g

One is modern WW carbon weight, and the other is 12 year old alu weight!

Now you've got them ... I'd keep them both
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mimason

by mimason

Bmwx5gcc wrote:So I decided to go with the Enve 4.5 Tubulars for all the above mentioned reasons. I currently have the 4.5 Clinchers.

Clincher set has Continental GP4000s II 25mm
Tubular set has Continental Competition 25mm w/ tufo tape

I weighed all the complete wheels and the results are

Tubular FRONT is 130 grams lighter than the Clincher
Tubular REAR is 77 grams lighter than the Clincher
Total Tubular set is 207 grams lighter than the clincher set.

Doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to justify having both sets.

Weight would have been easy to determine before you purchased them. You got them so ride and enjoy as they are worth 50-60% of MSRP now and selling may not be a good idea.

hongsj

by hongsj

3.4 is better for allround.