SISL2 + Chris King PF30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

Hey guys,

I have ordered and received (YAY!!!) a custom-made titanium road frame with 68mm bottom bracket shell for the use of PF30 bottom brackets. I wish to use a SISL2 crankset with Chris King's PF30 bottom bracket. Bottom bracket is already installed, SISL2 arrived here as well.

When installing the SISL2 spindle one needs to mount "2mm bearing shields" right next to the bearings (as indicated in the instructions). The bearing shields have a small step on the inside and I suppose these sit snug-fit against the original Cannondale bearings. However, when mounting these with my Chris King PF30 bottom bracket, the step on these bearing shields creates a clear distance against the Chris King (plastic) BB bearing spindle sleeve... Chris King tech support says: "Usually, those bearing dust shields are not needed and not compatible with our BB. They often interfere with the preload of the bearings".

So I went to a local Cannondale dealer here and he installed the crankset. He installed it according to the Cannondale instructions with the Cannondale bearing shields with the only difference using less spacers than the 7.5mm indicated in the SISL2 instructions. He used approx. 4-5mm (I think it was 2x 2.5mm but he measured the spacers and said they were less than 2.5mm each). The crank does not spin freely, even if I push it hard it does not spin one single turn. I understand that the bearings are brandnew and still need to break in but still I am unsure if this is the proper way to mount my combo.

The Cannondale mech mounted the system as follows (from the inside to the outside): bearing shield, 2x 0.5mm plastic shims (grey), wave washer, 2x 2.5mm spacers. The Cannondale instructions would mount wave washer before the shims but I do not think that this makes a difference...

I ordered plenty of shims from Wheels Manufacturing (plastic) yesterday in different thicknesses (0.5, 1, 1.8, 2.5, 5) and am willing to try some different configurations.

What do you think? Will I get this combination spin smothly?

Best regards from Austria/Europe,
Manuel
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I would imagine you would need to use the bearing shields made by the company for the bearings you are using. I can't imagine that King designed their PF30 BB to work with Cannondale shields. Try the King bearing shields.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

On my previous bike, I have used chris king pf30 with sisl2 for two years without the cannondale shields, and without any problems whatsoever. The tolerance was very tight requiring no shims (except for the wave washer of course) It would've been impossible to fit two metal shields in there.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have installed the Chris King PF30 on an Evo with the first generation sisl crankset. Do not use the bearing shields. Not required nor should they be used with the Chris King BB. With your crank you have the 109mm spindle I believe, without the shoulder on the Non Drive side. This is much better than the older version with the shoulder on the NDS and the wavy washer on the drive side. You can use spacers as required to get the right chainline. But if the crank isn't spinning freely something is wrong. It's so easy to install the Pf30 cups not perfectly aligned. I have Chris King Headset presses and bearing bushings etc and I believe the 1 1/4" bushing fits the Chris King PF30 cups perfectly. I would make sure that the cups were installed using a retaining compound (Loctite 609 + primer loctite 7649, since titanium is an inactive metal) and that they were installed using a proper press which would ensure proper alignment. That crank should spin freely and you should be able to install it by hand through both Chris King PF30 cups. No pounding, no freezing. If you can't do that, then I'd wager that the cups aren't aligned perfectly and I'd start the whole process over. Get it done right the first time or live with the evils or a poorly installed PF30 system.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

THANK YOU, guys. I will install the whole kit again without the bearing shields! I'll keep you posted.

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

Reading Cannondale Instructions carefully, one can find that the NON-DRIVE side of the spindle is marked "SL2 109 B12 NON DRIVE SIDE RD"

My spindle is marked "SL2 109 2315 NON DRIVE SIDE RD". What is the difference? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com