Who appoints the Spacer Police?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

Djkinsella89 wrote:
Posting a race bike on this forum with a short stem and a spacer tower is like making an adult movie when you have below average anatomy. You're more than free to do it, but don't get bent out of shape when you read the comments.

It wasn't me, it was my bitch ex-wife!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Ozrider wrote:Spacer Police are self appointed internet trolls.

+1

tinozee

by tinozee

The single wheel size for such a range of body sizes is odd. I would like to see a larger diameter road wheel and frames designed around them. Like 650 only 750.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@tinozee
MTBs have 26, 27.5, 29 and I've seen a 36 or two so it is surprising that roadbikes only have 650 and 700, but in a way it keeps things simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

highdraw

by highdraw

tinozee wrote:The single wheel size for such a range of body sizes is odd. I would like to see a larger diameter road wheel and frames designed around them. Like 650 only 750.

What height and/or body weight would you see the benefit of heavier and weaker 750 wheels?
Curious what you believe the benefit would be? For off road, a 29er makes sense because it reduces the angle of attack of the tire surface due to a larger radius, but road disturbances are not an issue when riding on pavement...and of course acceleration is compromised with larger wheels due to moment of inertia which is important with racing and spirited group riding.

Conventions are normally derived based upon an overall demographic. Of course the original 26" mtbs were spawned from 26" cruisers and most know a smaller wheel is naturally stronger and lighter than a larger wheel for same materials.

I personally don't see a real upside to wheels larger than 700c for paved road riding and I am 6'1" and 175 lbs. For very small riders however I do believe 650c has some benefit however.

Further thoughts?

tinozee

by tinozee

Nevermind, 700c is fine for tall guys.

highdraw

by highdraw

tinozee,
Your perspective makes more sense now. :)
6'10"? As you have learned in life as somebody taller than the rest, very few things are designed for guys your size. Just be happy you aren't the short guy. ;)

BRM

by BRM

The pro side is that you have room for at least three 1 liter bottles . . . .

:D

highdraw

by highdraw

Speaking of which...note the three bottle cages...
That big body has to create some serious watts to overcome that big hole being punched into the wind. ;)
Last edited by highdraw on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Wow; now I don't have to feel like I am the odd man out. :)
I am 6'6" and usually ride 63cm frames.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

tinozee

by tinozee

lol it's not mine but I am tall. It's just to illustrate that after a point the wheels are small. You can see it to a lesser degree on some 60+ frames, especially with tall stacks. But you know what I mean, it's part of what causes the "farm gate" look. I think it's an interesting debate but would maybe be too small a market to make business sense. I would like to try a larger wheel if it existed though. Like a size 53 complete bike but scaled up the entire thing including wheels. I'm pretty sure in mtb scene the 29 size has been a much better fit for taller riders (in addition to the all around mtb benefits of 29).

Here is a sort of interesting article on the topic suggesting a zize larger for riders over 6'2".

http://www.fitwellbikes.com/blog/2014/11/17/the-proportionality-of-wheel-size

eric01

by eric01

Ride whatever setup fits you and let's you experience the joy of riding a bike.

Only exception is if you exceed the mfg requirements for spacer stack. Not all forks do, but many have a max spacer stack for fear of cracking the steerer tubes long unsupported length.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

fogman

by fogman

What's funny is that if you have 2 cm or more of spacers, some forum member will comment that your frame is too small. Suppose you go out and buy the next size bigger. No spacers, but your seat is pushed all the way forward. Another forum member will undoubtedly comment that your frame is too large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.