Help me - Component Upgrade on 2014 Cervelo R3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rhyshan

by rhyshan

dmulligan wrote:You still haven't answered what your goal is. Why do you want to upgrade, what do you hope to achieve? What do you do with your bike that needs improving?

I don't see a power meter on your bike. If you are looking to improve your performance, a power meter will work better than any weight or aero improvement.

I believe that after a certain point, which your R3 is already light enough for, aero trumps weight in almost all cases. I live in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies and I still believe this. Get a nice pair of affordable deep section section wheels, with good brake tracks, and if you are looking to improve; a power meter. Then grab a good book on training with power or a coach and give'r.

D

Thanks. I am climber, like climbing but my almost riding circumstance is flat land.
so that I used AX P38T this season.

Your comment reminds me the quote, "Don't buy upgrades.. Ride up grades."
Thanks D.

rhyshan

by rhyshan

rhyshan wrote:
dmulligan wrote:You still haven't answered what your goal is. Why do you want to upgrade, what do you hope to achieve? What do you do with your bike that needs improving?

I don't see a power meter on your bike. If you are looking to improve your performance, a power meter will work better than any weight or aero improvement.

I believe that after a certain point, which your R3 is already light enough for, aero trumps weight in almost all cases. I live in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies and I still believe this. Get a nice pair of affordable deep section section wheels, with good brake tracks, and if you are looking to improve; a power meter. Then grab a good book on training with power or a coach and give'r.

D

Thanks. I am climber, like climbing but my almost riding circumstance is flat land.
I want more performance on climbing hills, and more comfortable condition after long ride.
I heard the weight all rules on what I aim at, so that I used AX P38T this season.

Thanks D.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rhyshan

by rhyshan

rhyshan wrote:
rhyshan wrote:

D

I want more performance on climbing hills, and more comfortable condition after long ride.
I heard the weight all rules on what I aim at, so that I used AX P38T this season.

Thanks D.

rhyshan

by rhyshan

rhyshan wrote:
rhyshan wrote:
rhyshan wrote:

D

I heard the weight all rules on what I aim at, so that I used AX P38T this season & looking for weight improvements.

Thanks D.

rhyshan

by rhyshan

D

I heard the weight all rules on what I aim at, so that I used AX P38T this season & looking for weight improvements.

Thanks D.

LenJ

by LenJ

rhyshan wrote:Hi, I am planning to upgrade R3 Ultegra(non upgrade, heavy aluminum components) for 2016,

looking forward to your wise advice.

Which option will you choose if you are in my shoes?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1: fine wheelset with cheap components
Wheel: AX Ultra 24 Tubular
+Cheap components

vs.

Option 2: midgrade wheelset with fine components
Wheel: Bora One Dark Label 35 Tubular
+Carbon components

+I am thinking my next bike for 2017..
Cervelo R5: 2017 model?
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX: which has aero cockpit, so that have to sell my handlebar

Thanks for advance,

When did Bora 1's become a mid grade wheelset?

len

rhyshan

by rhyshan

LenJ wrote:
rhyshan wrote:Hi, I am planning to upgrade R3 Ultegra(non upgrade, heavy aluminum components) for 2016,

+Cheap components

vs.

+Carbon components

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX: which has aero cockpit, so that have to sell my handlebar

Thanks for advance,

len

sorry for my expression. I tried to express not highend.
excuse my poor english.

LenJ

by LenJ

rhyshan wrote:
LenJ wrote:

+Cheap components

vs.

+Carbon components

Thanks for advance,

len

excuse my poor english.

What do you consider higher end? I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhyshan

by rhyshan

LenJ wrote:
rhyshan wrote:
LenJ wrote:

+Cheap components

vs.

+Carbon components

Thanks for advance,

len

excuse my poor english.

What do you consider higher end? I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AX Ultra or Lightweight,

rmerka

by rmerka

Damn! the quoting in this thread is out-of-con-trol....

jimborello

by jimborello

Come on, Bora One tubulars are high end in my book. I would choose them over AX any time just because of how your bike will look. So yes option 2 all the time.

dchan1234

by dchan1234

Option 2, or just splurge on the R5 ;)

mts595

by mts595

Go with what jimborello says. Even if it were a Spesh, Emonda, R5, etc. and you are going with a full Campy group, I would recommend Boras. I regret selling my Bora two's. They were raced heavily for one maybe two seasons when I got em (local continenal pro racing teams wheels) and all i did was take them to my LBS to have them replace a few spokes and true. They performed flawlessly for me ever since and looked sweet with my full Record group on my 595. Even mavic CCU's, zipps (303s and 404s), or edges.. did not compare to the elegant ride quality and extremely well-built design of the Boras. The bearings last a long time in these wheels keeping the hubs buttery smooth.

So here's what I got for you to consider:

Cervelo R3
+ Full Chorus (for black/white, $$$, and longer lasting)
+ Bora One or ultra's

IF (and big IF)... I were going custom, I would recommend Tune hubs with Enve or Ax rims. The green anodized hubs to keep up the blue/green look in the pic you posted above would look great! Maybe go with saddle/bar tape to match....sort of like Movistar's Canyons...(not sure if you can get movistar green decals for boras.. but maybe something to ask here or have made as a custom vinyl.

Here is link to a few cervelo's with Bora's....scroll to fourth pic down to see your bike.

http://iamhy.tistory.com/554

edit: Option 3 is get a motor like Ryder

3delis

by 3delis

I would recommend option #2 - but get the 35 ultras for the weight and cult bearings. You will not regret - bombproof, roll great, lightweight for climbing.

elisa

by elisa

Price is good Bora one 35

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com